Electrical panel in sauna room?

David56

New User
Occupation
Retired
I would like to build a sauna in a walkin closet that is in my garage. It has an existing sub electrical panel in the wall currently. Can I leave it in a dry sauna room?
Thanks!

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Our sauna isn't humid, but it is hot. Interior temperature is typically 120F (you can set it up to 140F). Seems to me putting a panel in a dry sauna is like putting a panel in a hot attic or on a southern exterior wall in a hot sunny climate. The high ambient could cause breakers to trip that don't normally trip. Not sure if it would lower the life of anything. GFCI/AFCI breakers may have a shorter life from the heat.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The temp inside a dry sauna according to google can be 200 degrees F. That is just not a suitable location for your typical electrical equipment. If I were the inspector I would ask for documentation from the manufacturer that it's safe to install in such an ambient temp or else fail it citing 110.3(A)(1) and (5).

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Not trying to break into how to but

Is it possible for you to hire an electrician to move the panel? A junction box I wouldn't worry about but the breakers function in a manner similar to thermostats to trip on overload.

Is there some way to do an outdoor sauna for you vs doing this right in the panel area?

retirede

The temp inside a dry sauna according to google can be 200 degrees F. That is just not a suitable location for your typical electrical equipment. If I were the inspector I would ask for documentation from the manufacturer that it's safe to install in such an ambient temp or else fail it citing 110.3(A)(1) and (5).

175F is the highest I can tolerate. I’m sure there are folks hardier then me who might be able to go higher. It’s definitely too hot for standard electrical equipment.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Doesn't a dry sauna have a pile of hot rocks and you dash a scoop of water over the rocks every now and then? Not as dry as you think!