electrical permits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len_B

Re: electrical permits

I don't think there is any reference to permits in the NEC. The ordinances requiring permits(if any) are by the state or local government having jurisdiction over land use.

luke warmwater

I had this happen once. A homeowner to be and his buddy came in on a Saturday to add extrasd to our rough. We had a hunch that this was going to happen, so we told them that our Rough inspection was on Friday. We lied. It was going to be Monday. Got a call Monday morning from the builder asking what some hanging wires were for. Called the inspector to confirm the inspection time and inform him of the homeowners work. They had to get their own permit and inspection which held up the job and they Voided our Warranty. Then after our Final inspection the homeowner had the nerve to call and ask us how they screwed up their 3-ways. What a hassle and this was after we speciffically warned the builder against this. Todd

Nick

Permit requirements are up to each jurisdiction, not the NEC. I just finished a job that the city required a separate permit for every change the owner made. We ended up with 4 separate electrical permits on a very small job. I think it?s a way to generate more revenue.

vanwalker

here we required one permit only until inspection is completed. if you must have a final inspection and paperwork is sent,then that permit number is completed. you must get another permit, it helps keep track of what is done and who should or should not be working there and what they are doing. GEO

rb

We used to allow only one permit to be open on a job. This was to allow the inspector to know who did what work. We no longer have this requirement. Now we have general contractors shopping out change orders.

drscott

Here in Michigan, only one permit is allowed for the work being installed. If a specialty trade (fire alarm) then the company who is installing this must obtain a seperate permit.
I have heard discusion is under way to make these low voltage contactors (sound, phone, cable) obtain seperate permits for their installations. Right now, I will not approve a rought inspection until all wiring is complete in dwellings.
Doug Scott

tomspark

I can understand allowing only one open permit on a residential job, but some commercial jobs can be so expansive that it is common to have multiple contractors in the same trade working all at once. I have seen it many times living near the mouse and the other attractions. As long as the scope of work and coordination of inspections are clear I don't see why it would be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.