Electrical room used as office!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Then what IS it saying?
It's saying that if the equipment is required to be installed in a space with limited access (good example: duct heater has to be located in the duct, and the duct is above the suspended ceiling), then it gives you some working room requirements. A main service panel, or a distribution panel, or a branch panel is never required, by its manufacturer, to be installed in a space with limited access. So this code article is not relevant to the present discussion.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
110.26(E) Dedicated Equipment Space. . . Can you think of any others?
This one is also not relevant to your issue. It relates to the space directly above or below a panel (i.e., the panel's "footprint"), not space located anywhere else in the room.

chevyx92

It's saying that if the equipment is required to be installed in a space with limited access (good example: duct heater has to be located in the duct, and the duct is above the suspended ceiling), then it gives you some working room requirements. A main service panel, or a distribution panel, or a branch panel is never required, by its manufacturer, to be installed in a space with limited access. So this code article is not relevant to the present discussion.

We were talking about 110.26(F).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
We were talking about 110.26(F).
My apologies. To answer the question you asked (instead of the question I mistakenly thought you asked), 110.26(F) is saying this: If there is a requirement (perhaps somewhere else in the code) that a piece of equipment be located in a space that is accessible to qualified persons, then putting a lock on the door is sufficient for the space to earn the title of "accessible to qualified persons."

I note that the code article does not include the word "only." It does not say "accessible only to qualified persons." I am not sure what the intent is here.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Then what IS it saying?

It's saying it is okay to put a lock on the door to an electrical room or an electrical enclosure.

The water treatment plant in my fair city has a large enough electrical room that the MCC a couple transformers, a server rack, two desks for the director and his assistant, some trash cans, and a 72" computer monitor all fit and get along just fine.

There is nothing in the NEC that says once you put electrical gear in a room then everything else in the world is banned from being placed in that room. It is required to maintain workspace clearances, but that's it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Exactly and that's to limit/restrict access so only qualified personnel have access. If that wasn't the case then there would be no need to install a lock.

Locks only limit access to those that have keys. Security guards and managers often have keys to such rooms. it is doubtful they are considered qualified to do anything electrical. There are lots of reasons to lock a door that have nothing to do with limiting access to qualified persons.

This is what I suspect. You don't want the electrical room used as an office for whatever reason. Someone else wants to use it as an office. You are trying to use the code to get what you want. Short of some of the clearance and egress issues already mentioned, I don't think there is anything in the NEC you can cite to help you make your case.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Exactly and that's to limit/restrict access so only qualified personnel have access. If that wasn't the case then there would be no need to install a lock.
It does not say that you need to install a lock. It is a permissive statement. It says that if you wish to restrict access, then you are allowed to install a lock on the door. Obviously, if you only give the key to the maintenance electrician, then the room will be accessible only to that particular qualified person. But you can also give a copy of the key to the person whose work desk is in the room.

I am sorry, but you are not going to find an NEC article that supports your viewpoint that office furniture is not allowed in that room. As others have already mentioned, the only relevant NEC requirement is that the working clearances must be maintained. Perhaps if the room gets uncomfortably hot because of the electrical equipment (particularly transformers), then a case could be made that this is an unhealthy work environment. OSHA might have something to say about that.

kwired

Electron manager
I would say the intent is to limit access to the room to qualified personnel.
Intent is that even though you restricted access to those with a key, NEC still considers it to meet "readily accessible" definition.

Public access buildings, how often are you allowed to enter "electrical rooms" if you are just a user/guest of the facility and not there to work on something? Such places if there is a panel in a public access area it likely has a locked door. NEC still considers these readily accessible to personnel authorized to access them (those that are keyholders) if said equipment otherwise meets readily accessible definition.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It does not say that you need to install a lock. It is a permissive statement. It says that if you wish to restrict access, then you are allowed to install a lock on the door. Obviously, if you only give the key to the maintenance electrician, then the room will be accessible only to that particular qualified person. But you can also give a copy of the key to the person whose work desk is in the room.

I am sorry, but you are not going to find an NEC article that supports your viewpoint that office furniture is not allowed in that room. As others have already mentioned, the only relevant NEC requirement is that the working clearances must be maintained. Perhaps if the room gets uncomfortably hot because of the electrical equipment (particularly transformers), then a case could be made that this is an unhealthy work environment. OSHA might have something to say about that.

I agree, the aforementioned code section will not prohibit someone from using the room as something other than an electrical room for the reason that Charlie has stated.

chevyx92

This is what I suspect. You don't want the electrical room used as an office for whatever reason. Someone else wants to use it as an office. You are trying to use the code to get what you want. Short of some of the clearance and egress issues already mentioned, I don't think there is anything in the NEC you can cite to help you make your case.

Case already made...... Clearance issues exist and using as storage. They asked me for help on this so I'm researching it for them. I have a few codes to cite but I thought there would be more.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
...Perhaps if the room gets uncomfortably hot because of the electrical equipment (particularly transformers), then a case could be made that this is an unhealthy work environment. OSHA might have something to say about that.
That's the first thing I thought; all the electrical rooms I have been in would be very uncomfortable places to spend a work day. It reminds me of the movie "Office Space".

kwired

Electron manager
Perhaps if the room gets uncomfortably hot because of the electrical equipment (particularly transformers), then a case could be made that this is an unhealthy work environment. OSHA might have something to say about that.

Wow, many of us that lurk here spend the entire day in such environments at least once in a while. I think it isn't that bad compared to some environments I get to work in.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Case already made...... Clearance issues exist and using as storage.

this is the deal. they can't use the required workspace for storage or put something there that is more or less permanent like a desk.

if that is what has been done, then they are in violation of the code, but not some make believe rule about not using an electrical room as an office.

by the way, I do not believe something mobile like a human being can be considered to obstruct work space. so if, for instance, you are claiming it is a violation of the required work space that someone has to walk past a panelboard to get to his desk, I am not convinced.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
by the way, I do not believe something mobile like a human being can be considered to obstruct work space. so if, for instance, you are claiming it is a violation of the required work space that someone has to walk past a panelboard to get to his desk, I am not convinced.
Agreed. How would one work on the equipment without violating the required work space?

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I've worked for an Electric utility in 2 steam (generating) plants and extensively in 3 steel mills. The electrical rooms are air conditioned and the cleanest environment IN THE PLANTS. Desks, electric components, parts, and electronic test equipment were commonly present; the electricians, electronic technicians, and others considered it their offices.

Clearance was rarely an issue; these rooms were typically very large.

Status
Not open for further replies.