electrical service grounding & bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Here's the yikes part for me.

A meter is in line with the taps.
I do not know on which code rule you are basing your comment. Such arrangement is common in multiple occupancy buildings.........

kwired

Electron manager
I do not know on which code rule you are basing your comment. Such arrangement is common in multiple occupancy buildings.........
All the tap rules require the tap conductors to terminate in a single overcurrent device. Can you point out where a meter socket is allowed in the tap conductors?

Self contained meter centers may do this but they are listed equipment.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Here's the yikes part for me.

A meter is in line with the taps.

All the tap rules require the tap conductors to terminate in a single overcurrent device. Can you point out where a meter socket is allowed in the tap conductors?

Self contained meter centers may do this but they are listed equipment.

It is a self contained meter center - 4 ganged 100A meters. That's why they are shown in a single box.

The only taps are between the meter and the 100A disconnects. Everything on the line side of the meter is sized for 200A.

kwired

Electron manager
It is a self contained meter center - 4 ganged 100A meters. That's why they are shown in a single box.

The only taps are between the meter and the 100A disconnects. Everything on the line side of the meter is sized for 200A.
That should clarify that concern, the meter is not part of the tap.

Does the 200A disconnect contain overcurrent devices? If not then it is not the service disconnect. If it does contain overcurrent devices then it better not be locked by POCO as the owner/occupant is supposed to have access to his service overcurrent devices. Most POCO will want an unfused disconnect for their meter disconnecting means if that is what this is. That will make your four 100 amp disconnects the service disconnecting means. They must be grouped in same location and can not be more than six unless it is an installation that allows multiple services.

haskindm

That should clarify that concern, the meter is not part of the tap.

Does the 200A disconnect contain overcurrent devices? If not then it is not the service disconnect. If it does contain overcurrent devices then it better not be locked by POCO as the owner/occupant is supposed to have access to his service overcurrent devices. Most POCO will want an unfused disconnect for their meter disconnecting means if that is what this is. That will make your four 100 amp disconnects the service disconnecting means. They must be grouped in same location and can not be more than six unless it is an installation that allows multiple services.

Don't oversimplify. There is no "six disconnect per service" rule. Carefully read 230.71(A). It states that you are allowed 6 disconnects for each service "or for each set of service-entrance conductors..." Since you are allowed a set of service entrance conductors to each "occupancy" you are allowed to have numerous service disconnects. I agree that it sounds like the 200 amp breaker is the service disconnect for this building and is the point where the grounding and grounded conductors would come together. They should remain separate after this breaker.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

All the tap rules require the tap conductors to terminate in a single overcurrent device.
Not necessarily. The tap conductors may terminate in a device, other than overcurrent device, the current rating of which is not greater than that of the tap conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
Not necessarily. The tap conductors may terminate in a device, other than overcurrent device, the current rating of which is not greater than that of the tap conductors.
I stand corrected, but only for the 10 foot tap rule. All the other tap rules of 240.21(B) require termination at an overcurrent device.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I think the 200A disconnect without overcurrent protection may also qualify as the service disconnecting means if it is placed right at the point of entrance of the SE conductors to the building, the meters and the not more than 6 nos unit 100A circuit breakers are placed adjacent to it and the SE conductors are sized per Art.220. Also, prior permission of AHJ may be obtained for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.