Electrical tankless water heater installation restrictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alperez

I am inquiring as to if anyone has heard if there are any NEC restrictions in place regarding the installation of a 80 amp (40/240 x2) tankless water heater placed within a utility closet that is also going to contain other readily combustible or flammable item such as bedsheets towels jackets, ect. I have found plenty for gas fed heaters but am stumped if this is even allowed although the plumbing contractor states otherwise. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mgookin

I am inquiring as to if anyone has heard if there are any NEC restrictions in place regarding the installation of a 80 amp (40/240 x2) tankless water heater placed within a utility closet that is also going to contain other readily combustible or flammable item such as bedsheets towels jackets, ect. I have found plenty for gas fed heaters but am stumped if this is even allowed although the plumbing contractor states otherwise. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums.

I just looked at your profile. Is this going to be installed in a fire station? Even though code may not prohibit something, that doesn't mean the customer can't choose where it goes.

And what does the cut sheet for the appliance say about location?

alperez

No it's on the architects plans for a residential home. I'm being contracted to add the 2 #8/2 lines to unit. I'm just not altogether comfortable with the spot chosen for placement and surprised I couldn't find anything in the 2014 NEC.

robert pitre

Water heater installment.

Water heater installment.

Keep in mine this is electrical not gas. In our plumbing code in LA, pop off vale must either exist the building and 90 down or exist to floor drain,if you are installing plumbing also.
If something goes wrong with water heater it should trip breaker.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Keep in mine this is electrical not gas. In our plumbing code in LA, pop off vale must either exist the building and 90 down or exist to floor drain,if you are installing plumbing also.
If something goes wrong with water heater it should trip breaker.
Re the 90: They really do not want to scald helpless passersby.

JFletcher

Doesnt there have to be a disconnect installed if the water heater isnt installed within sight of the panel? Other than that, mfg instructions may specify certain distances to walls, floors, ceilings, etc.

Two separate 8/2 cables? Is this two heaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.