Electrical Training Aliance aptitude test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Hello all.

Towards the end of the month, my son is scheduled for an aptitude test to get into an electrical apprenticeship. I've taken this exam myself about 17 years ago. From what I remember, it was basic algebra and some reading comprehension, and from what I've been gathering on the internet, is that it's pretty much the same. So the good thing is that he is graduating from high school next month, so hopefully his algebra and reading skills are fresh.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to how he can pass this test the first time? I've been looking around and see a lot of websites offering practice exams for a fee, but not sure how legit they are or if they are worth it. I'm willing to pay for it if nothing else comes up, but wanted to ask you guys if there is a better way or a reputable website that anyone uses. Thank you, I really appreciate any help.

John

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
Hi John,
Third year apprentice here. I was a good student in high school but had not done any algebra in the decade that passed. I purchased the iPrep IBEW Electrical Test course. It was worth it for me as the course had some pattern identification questions that I was struggling with.

Come test day, I breezed through the exam. Hope this helps, best of luck to your son.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Hi John,
Third year apprentice here. I was a good student in high school but had not done any algebra in the decade that passed. I purchased the iPrep IBEW Electrical Test course. It was worth it for me as the course had some pattern identification questions that I was struggling with.

Come test day, I breezed through the exam. Hope this helps, best of luck to your son.
Hey Matt,

Thank you for the reply. Yes that helps. That was one of the ones on the table I was looking to purchase and wasn't sure if it was a scam or not.
That's good news you passed and the best of luck with your apprenticeship.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I don't know where you live but the front range of Colorado is crying for any type of help.
No test required.
Good luck.

Ron

Ellie03

Occupation
av installation
hi, i recently did the uk one and i found it kind of easy though i was always good at any kind of test so tbh idk but good luck to your son

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
This method helped me with my license exam 2nd time around. 1st time, I strayed from it and ran out of time.
Round1, Go through test and answer all questions you know without a doubt, the stuff you do and discuss every day.
Round 2, Answer all questions merely needing a glance at charts or tables
Round 3, All other questions needing study.

If his test is set up as a multiple choice, this should work well for him. Get a sample test and try it out this way. Practice til you are well under allowed time.

Good luck.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This method helped me with my license exam 2nd time around. 1st time, I strayed from it and ran out of time.
Round1, Go through test and answer all questions you know without a doubt, the stuff you do and discuss every day.
Round 2, Answer all questions merely needing a glance at charts or tables
Round 3, All other questions needing study.

If his test is set up as a multiple choice, this should work well for him. Get a sample test and try it out this way. Practice til you are well under allowed time.

Good luck.
This is pretty much the way to take all tests if it is allowed. Some computerized tests don't allow you to go backwards anymore. Once you go past a question it's done and you don't get a second pass at it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
This is pretty much the way to take all tests if it is allowed. Some computerized tests don't allow you to go backwards anymore. Once you go past a question it's done and you don't get a second pass at it.
Ah, what a bummer. You should be allowed to put off the wacko questions until the end. Those are the ones about stuff we rarely see or hypothetical situations we may never see.

Status
Not open for further replies.