Electrical wiring UV Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrmic66

Have a situation with some UV lighting controllers. The problem I'm experiencing are the controllers are 30 amp 120 volt single phase witch would call for a 10 wire . Well I ran a #10 copper to each controller with a #10 wire neutral. there are 8 of these controllers the load drawing from each controller is from 22 to 24 amps just on the cusp of the 80% demand. However the neutrals for each controller are also putting out the same amperage as the line.now these circuits are in the same 3/4 EMT and the pipe is HOT to the touch! One of the controllers the neutral has browned and looks like it could potentially cause a fire. My question is could it just be that I have to up size the neutral to a #8 copper per circuit!? I couldn't run the neutrals through a seperate pipe on account of the fields cancelling out and really causing problems.. Could anyone offer insight as to how I could correct this issue!?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Have a situation with some UV lighting controllers. The problem I'm experiencing are the controllers are 30 amp 120 volt single phase witch would call for a 10 wire . Well I ran a #10 copper to each controller with a #10 wire neutral. there are 8 of these controllers the load drawing from each controller is from 22 to 24 amps just on the cusp of the 80% demand. However the neutrals for each controller are also putting out the same amperage as the line.now these circuits are in the same 3/4 EMT and the pipe is HOT to the touch! One of the controllers the neutral has browned and looks like it could potentially cause a fire. My question is could it just be that I have to up size the neutral to a #8 copper per circuit!? I couldn't run the neutrals through a seperate pipe on account of the fields cancelling out and really causing problems.. Could anyone offer insight as to how I could correct this issue!?
You have 16 current carrying conductors in the 3/4 raceway meaning you have to adjust their ampacity to 50%, read Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) You will probably need to instal a few more raceways

Roger

eHunter

Are these resistive incandescent or ballasted lamps ?
What is the wattage of each lamp/fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.