Electrician from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameleon

Hello all. I'm qualified electrician (ops i was) in Europe and work from 1983 until 1997 under DIN and JUS codes both in Europe (German and Yugoslavian). After 1997 decide to move with family in USA where become a cytizen and like to work again on my old job. I try to contact couple electrician here in Connecticut and figure out way to get my license but each of them gave me different guide lines so for long time i decide to do what i'm doing now (meintenance).
Now my question is:
do i need to work for electrician here and how long before i have right to get exam
did my previous experience from Europe have any effect in getting license here
except experience and writing test is it anithing else required to get a license

Thgank you in forward!!

480sparky

infinity said:
And welcome to the forum.:cool:

As well as to our country!

FlagonUSA.gif

haskindm

Each jurisdiction will have it's own rules. They will vary from state to state, county to county, and sometimes city to city. In Maryland you must work under the supervision of a Licensed Master Electrician for a minimum of seven years before attempting the licensing exam. Recognized training may be substituted for part of the experience requirement (up to 3 years I believe). I don't believe your European experience would count toward your time here. You will need to work under another Master Electrician.

brian john

In Washington DC area you would need time working in the local trade to obtain a license, but hard working GOOD electricians are needed and many men without licenses are working both union and open shop making top wages.

Myself I believe all should be licensed BUT, someone with the skill and aptitude willing to work should be given a break in some form. There will be many applications that are different as well as the codes, but I do not think the USA has a lock on ohms law. DO WE?

eric stromberg

brian john said:
...but I do not think the USA has a lock on ohms law. DO WE?

Here is an exam question i wrote for my last class:

21. Ohms Law is valid

A Only for single phase circuits

B Only for three phase circuits

C Only for circuits without harmonics

D For every circuit, for every component, for any number of phases. For AC, or DC. Ohms law is the basic truth of everything electrical and it cannot be broken under any circumstances.

The answer, of course, is "D"

haskindm

No this is not a racket. If you wish to be a licensed electrician, there are certain requirements that must be met including experience and passing an exam. Since the NEC is used in the US and may or may not be used in Europe, most jurisdictions will not accept overseas experience as meeting the experience requirement for the US. There is NOTHING (at least in this jurisdiction) that requires an electrician to become licensed. Many people work their entire lives as electricians and never get licensed, they work under the supervision of a licensed electrician. The OP originally asked about licensing, so that is the question that was answered. There are many, many opportunities for good people to work in the electrical trade without getting their own license. In Maryland you must be a licensed Master lectrician to contract work. A Master Electrician may have many unlicensed "electricians" working under his supervision.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
weressl said:
In other words this is just another racket, like tho old guild system in Europe. Indeed, welcome to the United States where ability counts!?
I don't want to discount you abilites or knowledge, but its not a racket.
In washington state, you need to be able to document your experience.
That experience would include being familar with the NEC.
For example, if you have military or shipboard experience, that may count for up to 50% of the required experience. And in WA State you can be an adminstrator without being a certified electrician. The adminstrator is the person who knows the electrical laws and rules. Why don't you give our adminstrator test a try? I think you can take the test out of state...

Status
Not open for further replies.