Electrician Licensing in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here to be an electrical contractor you have two parts, one part is an electrical contractors license and the other part is a business permit. Anyone that meets the work/education requirements and can pass the exam can get an electrical contractors license. To keep it active you would need to do 34 hours of CEU's and pay to renew it every three years. That license however does not allow you to pull permits or run a business as an electrical contractor. Those things require the second part, a business permit that is in the name of the business.
So what do electricians who are employees and don't work for themselves have is that also the electrical contractors license, same thing?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So what do electricians who are employees and don't work for themselves have is that also the electrical contractors license, same thing?
An “employee” that does electrical work for an electrical contractor who is licensed works under that license for his employer. If that employee is a “journeyman” then he will have to get licensed the way I read this ruling. However, if that journeyman wants to contract business with the public he will then have to also get an electrical contracting license as well as a business permit under his company name. (i.e. my license is issued to me personally but my bus. Permit is in my company name).

An “employee” that does electrical work for an electrical contractor who is licensed works under that license for his employer. If that employee is a “journeyman” then he will have to get licensed the way I read this ruling. However, if that journeyman wants to contract business with the public he will then have to also get an electrical contracting license as well as a business permit under his company name. (i.e. my license is issued to me personally but my bus. Permit is in my company name).
I am still not following, so an employee electrician does not currently have to have a license? I must be misunderstanding.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You
I am still not following, so an employee electrician does not currently have to have a license? I must be
I am still not following, so an employee electrician does not currently have to have a license? I must be misunderstanding.
If you have a shop with, let’s say 10 employees, who you pay to do electrical work under your license and business permit, they are not required to be licensed. However, if you have a journeyman electrician in your shop he will be required to be licensed, the way I read the ruling. That doesn’t mean my interpretation is correct.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Can someone clarify what will be required for NJ licensee's ?

The link on post #1 is well written, it describes the grandfather process for existing operators, and the 3 different license classes w/ requirements for each.

ritelec

Correct. The employees are not required to have any type of license. The electrical contractor needs to also hold a business permit to do business as an Electrical contractor. Employees are working under the Electrical Contractors license who hold a business permit, and that person holding that Electrical Contractors license is "supposed" to be overseeing all the work being done under his/her license.
Can someone clarify what will be required for NJ licensee's ?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Everyone picking up a pair of pliers from what I read of it.... even if you already have a Electrical Contractors license

ritelec

so everyone will need to hold a 100-130 dollar licenses to work as of February 2023 and then they will have to renew and pay the 100-130 dollars March of 2024 AND Electrical contractors will also have to pay the usual $100 + to renew their electrical contractor license AND the usual $100 + to renew their business permit, on top of the $$ for the CEU classes and credits.

What a racket

nickelec

I'm used to that in also licensed in NYC,

When you get your license it's good for a year the 500 fee you pay for is the year, license expires in your birthday so if you get your license a month before your birthday you have to renew it as soon as you get it and take the ce classes as well

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Correct. The employees are not required to have any type of license. The electrical contractor needs to also hold a business permit to do business as an Electrical contractor. Employees are working under the Electrical Contractors license who hold a business permit, and that person holding that Electrical Contractors license is "supposed" to be overseeing all the work being done under his/her license.
Okay wow I am surprised the employees don't need a license.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Based on the conversation I had with the licensing board this morning I don't see how that letter was even sent out, as the licensing board just also learned about this change and are still in the process of evaluating the changes.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That's correct. You can hire of the street which is what happens quite often. It's the license holders responsibility to ensure that the work is code compliant.
Florida operates the same way. I have mixed feelings on this because we all know that having a license doesn't necessarily translate to being a competent electrician. On the other hand, seems to be better than not.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Read the first paragraph
Based on the conversation I had with the licensing board this morning I don't see how that letter was even sent out, as the licensing board just also learned about this change and are still in the process of evaluating the changes.
This was not a letter that was sent out. It was printed in a local newspaper called the Beacon (look at the bottom right corner of the PDF). If you read carefully the first paragraph there are a few key words or phrases :
  • On January 18, 2022 Governor Murphy signed
  • Assembly bill A6108
  • Establishes requirements for electrician licensing in NJ
  • THE LAW requires ALL people performing electrical work to be licensed with the State of NJ
  • The NJ DCA has NOT YET CREATED the application forms
  • They will be expecting the forms and application process to be published in the near future
If you want to read the LEGALESE version about this bill click on this link :

Don't panic over this guys. They are not going to revoke our licenses. This is an IBEW Union thing which surprises the heck out of me. The Union has always frowned on their electricians going off the reservation by doing electrical work on the side. However, I think once this gets rolling it will give them Carte Blanche to infiltrate the territories of all us established, independent EC's within the State. Just my opinion.

I don't know who you spoke to at the Board of Examiners but they've known about this for many months.

ritelec

I don't know who you spoke to at the Board of Examiners but they've known about this for many months.
This was not a letter that was sent out. It was printed in a local newspaper called the Beacon

So how and when will operating businesses be informed? I would think 2 weeks before that March date so instead of an extra $100 a person they can get at least an extra $2500 per person. I'm kidding BUT I wouldn't doubt it. The clock is ticking..

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician

Whatever it was, I called the board and spoke to a representative, they do not yet have a position on this and cannot provide any information how it affects or impacts anything at this point

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Whatever it was, I called the board and spoke to a representative, they do not yet have a position on this and cannot provide any information how it affects or impacts anything at this point
The Board has known about this bill for several years. It was brought before the State senate, passed and was sent to the Governor for his signature. It was signed and is now the law.

Now, this is just my opinion and I have no facts to back it up, but I believe IBEW circumvented the Board and went right to the State legislature. IBEW has their own lobbyists and lawyers and had the ability to make this happen. The Board was informed about this after it was introduced to the legislature. I believe they were just as shocked as we all are. That said, my reasoning for my opinion is this :
  • The State has a Board of Examiners established by the State to vet, test and license all applicants that they deem have a minimum qualification to install or maintain electrical equipment and materials
  • The Board has been in existence for many years
  • The Board is constantly being bombarded with representatives from HVAC, plumbing, alarm, landscape and home theater contractors asking to allow them to install any type of wiring they deem necessary for their trade
  • None of us EC's (or at least very few of us) have made an appearance before the Board to protest or voice our opinions regarding other trades being allowed to install wiring
  • None of us EC's (or at least very few of us) have written letters to the Board for the same reasons
  • None of us EC's (or at least very few of us) want to make a trip after a hard day's work to Newark, NJ at night, pay $27.00 to park your vehicle and appear before the Board for the same reasons
That said, I believe IBEW saw an opportunity to not only improve the quality of their membership but to also improve the quality of all the people in the trade, as unfair as it may seem to many of us. I also believe they circumvented the Board to bypass a bureaucracy that wasn't acting in their best interests. Like I said, this is just my opinion and I have no facts to back it up. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.