electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLDLAVA

is there a process of amping parallel feeders, using the standard amp probe or is the a device on the market for that purpose?(standard amp probe can only close around one 500mcm at a time)

mdshunk

Get a bigger amp clamp. They also make flexible one's for going around bus bars and stuff like that. I don't know how big my biggest one is, but I've been around a bundle of 8-4/0's at a DC plant.

Testing each one is of less value, unless you're hunting a suspected bad termination.

wirenut1980

COLDLAVA said:
is there a process of amping parallel feeders, using the standard amp probe or is the a device on the market for that purpose?(standard amp probe can only close around one 500mcm at a time)

Yep, flexible CT's. Check with your meter manufacturer. I'm sure they will be happy to sell you some.

brian john

My largest has a 48" diameter I have used ones with 72" diameter. Though I have not done this an engineer I worked with said he used two LEM's*1 connected together. I guess I should try this next.

*1 Brand Name For Flexible CTs.

cschmid

I wonder how much marc and Brian have in cool toys..I have a fortune and I am amazed every time they list stuff I don't have..:rolleyes: but I get new ideas:grin: my wife might just thank them when she sees the bill:grin:

charlie tuna

biggest i have are 4000 amp --split core type. center opening is about the diameter of a football!
as noted above: do each individually and add them up ---they should(?) be fairly close if they are the same length?

Status
Not open for further replies.