Electrocution at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

An electrician employed by a Disney subsidiary died after he was shocked Friday morning while working near an electrical transformer at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World.

Steven Snyder, 50, of Davenport, was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at Celebration Hospital.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Osceola County sheriff's detectives are investigating.

Snyder, a journeyman electrician employed by Buena Vista Construction Co., was working on a temporary outdoor platform when he was electrocuted shortly after 10 a.m., officials said.

His co-workers and on-lookers rushed to his aid and tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate him.

"He was an electrician for more than 30 years and the best one there was," said his wife, Tammy Snyder. "He was always safe, he was never careless."

Snyder enjoyed camping and traveling and recently installed an above-ground pool in their backyard.

When the couple married in 1999, they rented a van and drove from Florida to Las Vegas, stopping at every national park along the way, Tammy Snyder said.

Once there, they found wedding rings at a nearby pawnshop, headed to The Little White Chapel and said their vows at the drive-through window ? Snyder was in the driver's seat and his new bride was riding shotgun. His nephew, their witness, filmed it from outside the car.

"He asked me if I wanted to get married in Vegas, and I said sure, so long as we didn't get married by Elvis," Snyder said. "We both said 'I do' and that was it."

On Friday night, Snyder was still trying to come to terms with her husband's sudden death.

Disney officials said Snyder was working near the front entrance to the sports complex when he was injured.

"Today, we are grieving with his family, friends and co-workers and extend our deepest sympathies to them," Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said. "We are reaching out to his family to offer our support during this difficult time."

On some of the 911 calls phoned in by witnesses, a dispatcher communicates with people on the scene trying to help Snyder by administering CPR and, later, an AED, or automated external defibrillator.

In one call, the dispatcher asks, "Is he breathing?"

The person on the scene says, "He is not breathing right now."

In another call, the caller said, "I've got a guy that's been electrocuted. ?He's down. He's not breathing."

mxslick

Sad news indeed. My sympathies to his wife and family.

Found this LINK which has a video showing the transformer in question. It is a portable dry-type with a disconnect switch and cam-loc connections.

If you full-screen the video and look closely, the first shot of the transformer shows what appears to be a bare, burned copper wire sitting on top....odd.

It will be interesting to see how the investigation turns out.

Ruff-N

I don't know but the wife saying he told her he has been shocked before, I feel for the family, but question how safe the worker or workers were in doing thier everyday work load, like I have stated before in another thread somtimes we get to comfrotable working around electricity and neglet to use all safety measures. But of course equiptment failure could have caused the accident also. Hopefully the investegation will answer all these quetions.

Status
Not open for further replies.