Electronic switch to re-purpose dead end 3-way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
It occurs to me that if the goal is to have neutral and switched hot at box B, then you could still do that with a relay at box A, if it's legitimate to switch the neutral on the relay coil circuit. I know that for utilization equipment you have to switch the ungrounded conductor, but for a control device like a relay, is switching the grounded conductor allowed?

Cheers, Wayne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
You could use a Lutron Maestro C-L/LED+ dimmer at the main switch location, and have a mechanical switch at the present dead-end location (as shown below and on pg. 4 of the document at the link below). In this configuration the switched/dimmed hot is available for having lights at both locations with only a 3-wire connection between them. This mode will have to be programmed into the dimmer with its buttons.

View attachment 2558078
https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/369613a.pdf
Thanks Syncro this is it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Actually synchro’s post #9 would work because it wouldn’t need a switched leg returning from the second switch. It can be tapped into at switch one before it leaves.

The x-10 works too but it warns against using led unless that’s a different application and Insteon works but it’s not physically wired to switch 2.
Now that you mention it, his and my diagrams are actually the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.