electrons per AMP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

Hi guys! would you be kind enough to give me' wirtten in number and in words ,the amount of electrons needed to create an AMP.
I have two references but both have a diference in between so I believe you might be able to give me a more acurate answer?:confused:

480sparky

I don't think there's an accurate number, given the answers are written in scientific notation format.

6.24x10EE18, or 6,241,507,648,655,549,400, or 6.24 billion billion is what I have.

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

The dictionary I consulted says:

A standard unit of electrical charge. Pronounced "kool-ahm," one coulomb (C) is equivalent to one amp of current flowing through a conductor for one second. It is also equal to 6.25 quintillion electrons (6.25 X 10 to the 18th). From French physicist Charles de Coulomb (1736-1806), who measured the behavior of electrical charges.

peter

The number is Avogadro's number. My dictionary states that it is 6.02 X 10^23.
It is named for Count Amadeo Avogadro.
I think it is also the number of atoms in the atomic weight. That is, if you have 2 grams of Helium, you would have 6.02 X 10^23 atoms of Helium.
~Peter

480sparky

Yes, they hurt, and they always seem to come in the billions and billions :grin:

carl_sagan.jpg

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Hi guys! would you be kind enough to give me' wirtten in number and in words ,the amount of electrons needed to create an AMP.
I have two references but both have a diference in between so I believe you might be able to give me a more acurate answer?:confused:

The number of electrons depends on how long the "amp" flows.

There is a coulomb of electrons in an Amp-second.

Steve

mlnk

In science and chemistry the number is 6.24 x 10 to the 18th power electrons per second.
In electrical work, we talk about amps per hour. So the number is 3600 times bigger. 2.25 x 10 to the 22nd
This is why you will see different numbers. Just ask if it is per second or per hour.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
In science and chemistry the number is 6.24 x 10 to the 18th power electrons per second.
In electrical work, we talk about amps per hour. So the number is 3600 times bigger. 2.25 x 10 to the 22nd
This is why you will see different numbers. Just ask if it is per second or per hour.

It's not really "amps per hour", it's amps X hours. The word "per" usually means to divide. For example, "Miles per hour" is Miles divided by hours.

Amps aren't something you can count, like feet or miles. It is a rate of change like "miles per hour". Specifically, it is the rate of change of charge.

To get the number of electrons that actually cross a point, we have to integrate the amps over time. For our original post, that just means we have to multiply the amps by the amount of time.

I'm sure everyone understands this, but I just hate to see the language get so relaxed that we use phrases like "electrons per amp" or "per" when we mean "multiplied".

Steve

mlnk

Amps are something you can count-that is what this post is about. I tell my class to picture amps as tennis balls. Amp is number of electrons (or a group of electrons) moving past a point over a period of time. Amp means nothing without a time frame. 5 amps tells us nothing, 5 amps per hour is a definite rate of flow. Of course in electrical work, we assume "per Hour," whenever you see amp mentally add "per hour" to it. Except in science it would be .0014 amps per second. My brother runs 10 miles per hour, he also runs 240 miles per day.
The multiplying is used when you want to find out power, watts: 5 amps x 120 volts = 600 watts (per hour)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.