Elevator Aux Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elevator retrofit. We were hired to provide dedicated HVAC circuit, lighting, alarm conduit, and 120v outlet for elevator mech room. Existing feeder. Elevator contractor provided no plans. Existing feeder is 3/0. 150a 3 phase 208 breaker at main service diatribution board. Elevator disco is 200 amp challenger GD324SN with 150a fuses. Elevator contractor said existing disco would be fine. New elevator is 80amp 208 3 phase. Now elevator contractor asking for AUX contact switch for our disco? Is retrofit kit available? My scope of work did not involve buying new elevator disco. Any other options? Elevator gets inspected by elevator inspector next Monday. State of Hawaii. 4 floors. Commercial condominium.

FYI. For hvac, alarm panel, lighting, and outlet (all dedicated to the elevator mechanic room, or elevator), we tapped line side of existing elevator disco, installed new 100amp loadcenter with 100amp main for our additional dedicated elevator loads. New load center is directly adjacent to existing elevator disco.

All other violations aside (lol) we are only being asked to provide disco with aux contact for disco handle position. Battery lowering device, etc, etc, blah blah blah. Can I get aux contact for existing disco?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Call Cutler hammer.
I'm not sure that part of Challenger was absorbed by Eaton / Cutler Hammer, those switches were sold for a while by Thomas & Betts (T&B) when they got into the distribution game, now T&B is owned by ABB and I thought that ABB stopped supporting that line from T&B in favor of ABBs existing line of switches.

As far as I know, all disconnect mfrs offer(ed) field retrofit aux contact kits. They sometimes attach to the handle mechanism, not the switch itself, because you typically want the Aux contacts to open BEFORE the main contacts and close after they do. But whether or not anybody maintains an inventory of parts for Challenger disconnects is probably a craps shoot. You may have to search for them in the surplus market.

Status
Not open for further replies.