Elevator Cab Fire Alarm Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryant35

I am working on a GSA project where we are required by the spec to provide a fire alarm speaker inside each elevator cab, 15 total.

The elevator contractor suggested installing the speakers on top of the elevator can, not inside due to lack of space on the finished ceiling.

Has anyone ever installed a speaker on top of an elevator cab? How effective should I expect this to be?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am working on a GSA project where we are required by the spec to provide a fire alarm speaker inside each elevator cab, 15 total.

The elevator contractor suggested installing the speakers on top of the elevator can, not inside due to lack of space on the finished ceiling.

Has anyone ever installed a speaker on top of an elevator cab? How effective should I expect this to be?
Not very, why not cut it into the ceiling?. The whole point is to make sure the riders can hear warnings.

ryant35

Not very, why not cut it into the ceiling?. The whole point is to make sure the riders can hear warnings.

That is what we prefer, I've used the 'it's not listed for that type of installation' when they tried to get us to recess our speaker strobes into the ceiling or install speakers behind panels. That is probably what I need to do again.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Between echoes in the shaft and sound filtering in through assorted openings in the can, I would not expect the intelligibility of the sound to be particularly good.
One alternative might be to attach a driver coil to the roof and turn the whole roof into a speaker.

ryant35

Between echoes in the shaft and sound filtering in through assorted openings in the can, I would not expect the intelligibility of the sound to be particularly good.
One alternative might be to attach a driver coil to the roof and turn the whole roof into a speaker.

There will also be 6 elevators in 2 common shafts, I think I will use your comments to fight this.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.