Elevator Disconnect (different question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have the overcurrent protection and shunt trip covered in a main panel board can I use just a non-fused safety switch as my disconnecting means for my elevator or do I have to have fuses/enclosed breaker etc. in the equipment room for the elevator motor?

Thanks

Artemis

Article 620.51 requires "an enclosed externally operable fused motor circuit switch or circuit breaker" for a disconnecting means. I don't think a non fused disconnect satisfies this article.

davidr43229

No , Per ANSI 17.1 the elevator requires it's own shunt trip. If you have shunt trip in the main, this probably means that the shunt trip is oversized for the elevator application (usually 60-100amps). Additionally you need to feed the shunt trip signal from the fire Alarm to the shunt trip for the elevator, which may conflict with what you already have fed into the shunt trip in the main.
Just my $.02

W6SJK

davidr43229 said:
No , Per ANSI 17.1 the elevator requires it's own shunt trip. If you have shunt trip in the main, this probably means that the shunt trip is oversized for the elevator application (usually 60-100amps).

I think he means the shunt trip CB is a branch CB in a main panelboard. As I recall, the shunt tripped device cannot be in the elevator equipment room, so a local fusible sw or CB is what you need. I can't remember if [edit] the remote shunt trip is a local requirement or ANSI

dahualin

I believe a fusible disconnect is required in elevator machine room, even if you have shunt trip circuit breaker in upstream panelboard. Shunt trip circuit breaker is not necessarily in the elevator machine room.

Status
Not open for further replies.