Elevator Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Our inspection division is arranged in such a manner that the electrical inspector is responsible for the feeder to an elevator room but beyond a disconnect outside of the elevator room is under the jurisdiction/inspection of the elevator inspector.
On a particular instal, al MDP had a 225 amp breaker with 3/0 Cu feeding a NF disconnect. Beyond that disconnect is not the responsibility of the EI. Is there anything inherently wrong feeding a 200 amp NF disconnect with a 225 amp breaker ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How can you have 3/0 being fed from a $225 amp breaker. And the disconnect is only rated 200 amps? And that's a problem too

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Typo on wire size...wire is 4/0 (but IF it's a motor load would the 3/0 not be permissible ?).
The "problem" with feeding the switch is my concern.
I want to classify it as a violation but, for the sake of argument, let's assume its a 50HP 240 motor.
A 225 amp breaker would be compliant for the GFSC protection AND a 200 amp NF switch is rated at 60HP and seems to meet the 430.110 requirements (115% of motor FLA, etc)

Typo on wire size...wire is 4/0 (but IF it's a motor load would the 3/0 not be permissible ?).
The "problem" with feeding the switch is my concern.
I want to classify it as a violation but, for the sake of argument, let's assume its a 50HP 240 motor.
A 225 amp breaker would be compliant for the GFSC protection AND a 200 amp NF switch is rated at 60HP and seems to meet the 430.110 requirements (115% of motor FLA, etc)
Augie, I see no requirement to protect a NF switch at its rating with an OCPD. This is one of those things we are conditioned to think, and is the case for panelboards (408.36), but I see no similar statement in 404.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Augie, I see no requirement to protect a NF switch at its rating with an OCPD. This is one of those things we are conditioned to think, and is the case for panelboards (408.36), but I see no similar statement in 404.
But a non-fused switch would have a horsepower rating, correct? So as long as the load doesn't exceed the horsepower rating it seems like it would be code compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.