ELevator Machine Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Article 620.51 defined the fact that each elevator needs it's own lockable disconnect, my questions are these;

Is there anything preventing these disconnected being grouped together in a single panel; I only ask because I'm accustomed to seeing disconnects comming off of a wireway.

Also, I understand that the disconnect needs to be within 18 inches of the door. In fact the term used for the side of the door is the hinge jam side or something like that. Not even sure what side they're talking about. Can anyone enlighten me?

Where you have multiple elevators does there need to be a single disconnect ahead of all of them? I'm just wondering how you can have 6 disconnects all eith 18 inches of the door?

Much appreciated,

Mike

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My understanding is that the switch needs to be operable from the area just inside of the door. We typically install a distribution board or disconnect switches right inside of the door opening for fast access when opening the door and stepping in. On my current project there are three disconnect switches for each elevator. One at the distribution panel, the second by the door and the third within sight of the elevator controllers.

mshields

Elevator code takes preference

Elevator code takes preference

iwire - regarding your comment Elevator Code Takes Preference. I don't see in Chapter 30 of the IBC where disconnecting means is indicated let alone where it has to be. I see in the NEC 620.51(C) where it states that the diswconnecting menas shall be located where it is readily accedssible to qualified persons?

Status
Not open for further replies.