Elevator OCPD Sizing Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

eh3101

I have a service with 20 elevators, HVAC motor loads, lighting, and general receptacles. I find it unlikely that all elevators will operate simultaneously. Given this, can NEC section 220-21 be applied to the elevators for sizing the main service OCPD? As a basis, I would like to use the factors given in table 620-14? I know this table is allowed for feeders, but could it be used as a basis for a diversity factor for sizing the service OCPD?

charlie tuna

Re: Elevator OCPD Sizing Criteria

article 620.14 and table 620.14 covers demand factors for elevators. since this section is specified "for elevators" i think it overrides 220.21.....

eh3101

Re: Elevator OCPD Sizing Criteria

If so, can the demand factors in 620-14 be applied when calculating the main service OCPD, or am I still required to use the largest elevator OCPD size plus all of the other elevator FLA when calculating the size? It seems that the latter would result in an extremely oversized service OCPD, considering the quantity of elevators operating intermittantly.

dahualin

It is a good question.

I think Table 620.14 will give you Demand factor for sizing feeder and load calculation. But how to size the overcurrent protection device is not defined. Elevators don't work as other pumps (motor type) do. I didn't see any description on how to size MOCP for grounp elecvators in NEC. But if you size it as per 430, it will be very big, but it will not hurt anybody except the person who pay for it.

Anybody can answer this question? Thanks.

spsnyder

I work in a large building with 18 elevators. When its 7 AM - 9 AM or 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM I could see instances where all elevators are running. Just my opinion. Interested to see others responses.

benaround

en3101,

Have you looked at 430.22(E) duty cycle service Tables. It looks to me

that 85% of total can be used. Check it out.

altonyjames

eh3101 said:
If so, can the demand factors in 620-14 be applied when calculating the main service OCPD, or am I still required to use the largest elevator OCPD size plus all of the other elevator FLA when calculating the size? It seems that the latter would result in an extremely oversized service OCPD, considering the quantity of elevators operating intermittantly.
can you write the formula for 3 elevators 480 volt

Status
Not open for further replies.