Elevator Pit Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_ee

620.24 Branch Circuit for Hoistway Pit Lighting and Receptacle(s).
(A) Separate Branch Circuit. A separate branch circuit shall supply the hoistway pit lighting and receptacle(s).
Required lighting shall not be connected to the load side of a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
(B) Lighting Switch. The lighting switch shall be located so as to be readily accessible from the pit access door.
(C) Duplex Receptacle. At least one 125-volt, single-phase, duplex receptacle shall be provided in the hoistway pit.
FPN: See ANSI/ASME A17.1-1996, Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators, for illumination levels.

Ok so I know I need to have an GFCI protected outlet in the pit. I think I am also required to have lighting. What article requires it? When I read 620.4(A) it sounds like the lighting and GFCI receptacle are not allowed to be on the same circuit? It says lighting shall not be connected to the load side of a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Does this mean if I put the lighting on the circuit ahead of the GFCI receptacle I'll be ok? If not, what does it mean? A separate circuit for the the GFCI receptacle and a separate circuit for the lighting? Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Elevator Pit Requirements

I think it means that they can be on the same circuit, so long as the lights are upstream. That seems reasonable to me. If the GFI trips, you want to still have enough light to be able to get out of the space.

luckyshadow

Re: Elevator Pit Requirements

Yes thats just what it means. they can be on the same circuit, but the light must be upstream of the gfi. These are the only things allowed on this circuit also. Machine room recept. must be on its own circuit also.

Status
Not open for further replies.