Elevator Shaft Detectors Access Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryant35

We have heard of these boxes that are cut into an elevator shaft, has a protective cage to protect the detectors from the shaft and allows installation of the detectors on the access door with flex conduit so the detectors can be installed & serviced from outside the shaft.

I've had calls from a dozen of our fire alarm contractors looking for a manufacturer and a model number. This thing seems to be the bigfoot of our industry, everybody thinks they have seen it, but they are not sure if it exists.

Here is the detail we show on our plans:
elevc.jpg

cadpoint

I can see and understand how a cage might be appliable.

In my minor exposer to elevators this one application leaves alot to be desired.
I don't see how this would ever be exceptable for a passenger / lift.
How could a fire rating be maintained?

I can see how but I think that by design it would be odd to service.

OK, Frankly I don't get the Design Application! :roll:

ryant35

I can see and understand how a cage might be appliable.

In my minor exposer to elevators this one application leaves alot to be desired.
I don't see how this would ever be exceptable for a passenger / lift.
How could a fire rating be maintained?

I can see how but I think that by design it would be odd to service.

OK, Frankly I don't get the Design Application! :roll:

From what I understand, the back of the enclosure maintains the fire rating.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
I've seen something similar, but much easier to service....

I've seen something similar, but much easier to service....

From where you show a 2" x 4" handy box, a length of flex drops down & terminates with a 90 into the back of the rated door. The detector(s) mount onto the door, and can be tested, serviced and/or replaced without having to enter the shaft (which is a good thing, as Martha used to say).

ryant35

Elevator hoistways are not accessable... why the cage? Is it required by a local AHJ?

From what I find the sprinkler head, hoistway lights and detectors are required to be protected from impact. This isn't really part of our scope of work, but we have been told by a few different elevator contractors that the protection is required for our equipment.

cadpoint

From what I find the sprinkler head, hoistway lights and detectors are required to be
protected from impact. This isn't really part of our scope of work, but we have been told by a few different elevator
contractors that the protection is required for our equipment.

Welp I guess that requirement would be based on what fine State you live in.

The elevator is a State Inspection here in NC. I never heard the word protected or that it is required to be
protected but that it is considered secure to quailified personal.

I've never put anything covering or caging any equipment except for a weather cover over a GFCI receptacle.

The overall size and shape of the cage in the orginal OP would not work in any of the elevators that
I've been graced to work in.

There never seems be more than 6" of the stand off space from a wall to the hoist support structure.
Frankly it always seemed less than that!

On my last install is was so tight that the pit light was being turn on or off by the structure of
the elevator itself. :roll:

Last edited:

W6SJK

Don't have my code here but isn't the heat detector required to be within 2 feet of the sprinkler head?

Stallzer

Don't have my code here but isn't the heat detector required to be within 2 feet of the sprinkler head?

That is for a detector in the Elevator Pit of a Hydraulic Elevator which in turn must trip the shunt / Trip breaker in the equipment room. We are no longer required to install shaft detection due to service and accessibility, this code is from the Elevator inspector / code, not NFPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.