Elevator Shunt trip power indication light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a code requirement that says the 'shunt trip trip control power' indicator light is suppose to go out when the shunt trip is used to shut off power to the elevator disconnect?

It was my understanding of code that the control power for the shunt trip on elevators stays on (because of how it is wired) and if it ever did go out/lose power then it was to send an alarm/signal to the fire alarm panel, (it is supervised control power). Can someone point me to a code that talks about indicator light control power.

thanks,

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Is there a code requirement that says the 'shunt trip trip control power' indicator light is suppose to go out when the shunt trip is used to shut off power to the elevator disconnect?

It was my understanding of code that the control power for the shunt trip on elevators stays on (because of how it is wired) and if it ever did go out/lose power then it was to send an alarm/signal to the fire alarm panel, (it is supervised control power). Can someone point me to a code that talks about indicator light control power.

thanks,
I have never heard of this as a code requirement, at least not a national code. It may be a local amendment or a specification requirement. The fire alarm control unit (FACU) is supposed to monitor the presence of power to the shunt coil, and if power is lost you'll get a supervisory signal at the FACU.

Status
Not open for further replies.