Elevators

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

In instances when elevators are required to have generator backup; here in MA and I believe typically per the IBC, when there are 4 or more stories above the level of discharge, is it considered an Article 700 Emergency Load, an Article 701 Legally required Emergency load or is it governed via another set of rules unto itself?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Your answer lies either in the IBC, of which I know little, or in the MA state laws, of which I know even less. The NEC only says that we must supply a load on the "emergency" (700) source if some governmental authority requires it. It says something similar in 701. As an example, I believe the City of Seattle's code requires a high rise building to have at least one elevator on emergency. As another example, I also believe that the smoke control system in a high rise is a 701 load, and I think that comes from the IBC.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Your answer lies either in the IBC, of which I know little, or in the MA state laws, of which I know even less. The NEC only says that we must supply a load on the "emergency" (700) source if some governmental authority requires it. It says something similar in 701. As an example, I believe the City of Seattle's code requires a high rise building to have at least one elevator on emergency. As another example, I also believe that the smoke control system in a high rise is a 701 load, and I think that comes from the IBC.

Interesting; I'm on a project at one of the NY area airports and they treat smoke control as a 700 load.

Status
Not open for further replies.