EM lighting circuting

rcfoolinca

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi all, have an issue that is in regards to EM lighting circuiting. Short story is that designer neglected to call out for extra unswitched hot for battery charging. Light fixtures have all been installed, hot wire is going through a time clock, I'm not sure if there is any "easy" way out other than pulling in the extra hot wire.

CoolWill

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi all, have an issue that is in regards to EM lighting circuiting. Short story is that designer neglected to call out for extra unswitched hot for battery charging. Light fixtures have all been installed, hot wire is going through a time clock, I'm not sure if there is any "easy" way out other than pulling in the extra hot wire.
How many lighting circuits serve the space? I believe that if three or more lighting circuits serve a space, the EM lights can be from any circuit. So if you have a large open space with multiple lighting circuits, you could just take power from any convenient circuit for the EM lights. This may depend of your local fire code.

Peter Koook

New User
Occupation
/
You could consider installing a separate charging station for the batteries near the lighting fixtures, eliminating the need for extra wiring. Alternatively, if feasible, you might be able to reconfigure the existing wiring to accommodate the battery charging without major rewiring.

farmantenna

How many lighting circuits serve the space? I believe that if three or more lighting circuits serve a space, the EM lights can be from any circuit. So if you have a large open space with multiple lighting circuits, you could just take power from any convenient circuit for the EM lights. This may depend of your local fire code.
Not true. ART.700 up until 2017 circuit for EMG lights had to be same circuit as the lights for that area. 2020 2023 is less restrictive and can be from same panel.

farmantenna

If you're saying that all the lights are wired together but some have emg drivers then even the installing electrcian screwed up. Some rewiring will be needed.

CoolWill

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not true. ART.700 up until 2017 circuit for EMG lights had to be same circuit as the lights for that area. 2020 2023 is less restrictive and can be from same panel.
Not true. I don't know when it changed, but 700.12(F) had an exception stating what I stated. Sure I might be outdated, but I didn't just make it up. And it may have required it to be a dedicated circuit. I don't know remember now.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If you're saying that all the lights are wired together but some have emg drivers then even the installing electrcian screwed up. Some rewiring will be needed.
I agree. Kinda hard not to notice that there's a battery pack in there.
But I will say I haven't seen a fixture with emergency backup in it in a long time.
We use wall packs.