embedded cable and conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

guys the spec is allowing us to run conduits in the slab up to 3". i believe there would be significant saving running our branch and hr's in poured slab. we can use pvc coated mc for branch and emt or hr's.

any thoughts? thanks

AKElectrician

guys the spec is allowing us to run conduits in the slab up to 3". i believe there would be significant saving running our branch and hr's in poured slab. we can use pvc coated mc for branch and emt or hr's.

any thoughts? thanks

Make sure your guys are good at stripping MC-HL for stuffing. If it's done after stuffs poured, and a conductor gets knicked when stripping/stuffing cables into boxes, not a good time.

JFletcher

any thoughts? thanks

Why? Large feeders, perhaps, but your other option is going up then back down to your panels and j-boxes. I haven't done such a project, however w/o walls in place, wouldnt your conduits emerging from slab have to be placed more or less exactly perfect to avoid winding up in the walls, or 12" from a wall when it needs to be 6"? I know this is done all the time, however it seems that the layout would take more time and skill than going up to the ceiling and back down. If you miss anything or a change order (or mistake) is made, you'll have to go the latter route anyway.

Also, if you have just 3", you cant have any crossover of larger conduits in the slab, and only one of 1.5" or smaller, amiright?

Will standard EMT even hold up in concrete?

mstrlucky74

Why? Large feeders, perhaps, but your other option is going up then back down to your panels and j-boxes. I haven't done such a project, however w/o walls in place, wouldnt your conduits emerging from slab have to be placed more or less exactly perfect to avoid winding up in the walls, or 12" from a wall when it needs to be 6"? I know this is done all the time, however it seems that the layout would take more time and skill than going up to the ceiling and back down. If you miss anything or a change order (or mistake) is made, you'll have to go the latter route anyway.

Also, if you have just 3", you cant have any crossover of larger conduits in the slab, and only one of 1.5" or smaller, amiright?

Good points. EMT can be used with concrete tight fittings

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I think he meant conduits up to 3" not a 3" slab.

JFletcher

I think he meant conduits up to 3" not a 3" slab.

Yes, I gathered he meant 3" conduits... if that is the upper limit, then I'd presume any combination of conduits can't exceed the same 3 inches. For example, I doubt he could have a 2" conduit cross over another 2" conduit, otherwise using a 4" conduit would be allowed, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.