Emergency battery backup retrofitted in light, plus light feed from emergency backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Why would you have a EM battery back up retrofitted, and plus it's fed for from emergency back up inverter? Never seen a battery backing up a battery before. Some new code? Thank you for your help.

Khecksher

Depends on time

Depends on time

NFPA standards apply for emergency lighting standard. They have to meet a time standard, if the internal battery cannot produce the minimum light level over the time frame required, then a secondary immediate power source is required when line voltage is lost. So maybe they are trying to meet the requirement.

As I don't seem to see the original post, I would be interested in seeing what the post said. I might even be able to help quote the exact requirement once I have the facts.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Why would you have a EM battery back up retrofitted, and plus it's fed for from emergency back up inverter? Never seen a battery backing up a battery before. Some new code? Thank you for your help.

What is the nature of the "emergency backup inverter"? Is it just a centralized battery bank connected to the emergency lights?

I also don't understand why someone would do this. A stand-alone emergency light or combination emergency/exit light is designed to give the required 90 minutes of light at the proper level. Usually they'll deliver a lot more when the batteries are new and in good condition.

unytko

micro inverters

micro inverters

What is the nature of the "emergency backup inverter"? Is it just a centralized battery bank connected to the emergency lights?

I also don't understand why someone would do this. A stand-alone emergency light or combination emergency/exit light is designed to give the required 90 minutes of light at the proper level. Usually they'll deliver a lot more when the batteries are new and in good condition.

Because crazy designers don't want to see "ugly" EM fixtures mixed with pretty lights ... Philips "Bodine" 20W, 100/250/400W or "COOPER LIGHTING - SURE-LITES " up to 2000W micro inverters allows to convert ordinary lights in to EM. So, "any" fixture or group of fixtures can serve both e.a night lights or EM light during the blackout. We have this spect for the commercial project "fancy club space (part of amenities for the residential building in NYC) I stared doing some research and This brings questions like, 1. How should those EM fixtures be identified ?, 2. Since the unit (inverter ) is remotely installed - where should be the test button /indicator installed -in the closet or out in space where the lights are? 3. What about disconnecting means -should two be provided one for feeder and one for secondary (EM /110V ) etc. If someone used this already your input would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.