Emergency electrical power policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a hospital, and I've been told to make a "Emergency electrical power policy", as to who can have emergency power, and who can't. After the last disaster drill, we have been receiving requires to have emergency power install in area's that I don't thank need emergency power, but, there is no policy (that I know of) that I can use to tell these people that there Coffee maker is nor a critical item.
NEC 517-33 Critical Branch helped, but I need to spell it out more.
Thanks for your help

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Emergency electrical power policy

At the beginning of the high altitude nuclear tests from Johnston Island, in the mid-Pacific.
I was one of the first electricians dispatched to the project. This operation was due to the failure of five nuclear weapons to go nuclear, when dropped by the Strategic Air Command B-52s, over the Pacific.
President Kennedy, ordered a crash program to test and perfect the triggering device.

My first job assignment was to connect a light over the pool table, and hook up the bingo machine. :)

bennie

Esteemed Member

mahobbs: Sorry, I didn't help with your problem. I can't turn down a chance to spin one of my sea stories :eek:

I would consult with an engineering firm, experienced with health care facilities. You will need an accurate load calculation for the back up system.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by mahobbs:
there is no policy (that I know of) that I can use to tell these people that there Coffee maker is nor a critical item.
700.6 Transfer Equipment.

700.6(D) Use. Transfer equipment shall supply only emergency loads.
This might help when they ask to put coffee makers on the emergency system.

If you have only one transfer switch that is designated for article 700 loads you may only connect emergency equipment to it.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

How about the definition provided in 517.2:

Emergency System. A system of circuits and equipment intended to supply alternate power to a limited number of prescribed functions vital to the protection of life and safety.

I think the last four words of this definition should give you what you need.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Life and safety? have you ever seen a nurse without their coffee?

pwhitton

Assuming you have the proper transfer switches/branches of the emergency system (life safety, critical and equipment) use articles 517.32, 517.33, 517.34 to develope your policy of who gets what for emerg power. The life safety and critical branches are straight forward and should have no extraneous equipment on them other than the items listed, although 517.33.a.9 allows you to add items to the critical branch that are critical to patient care specific to you facility. As for the equipment branch 517.34.b.9 gives you leeway to decide other items that you feel should be on the generator(s) that are essential to your facility (not sure if a coffee maker fits in that category ;) ). Whenever we design a healthcare facility we always verify with the AHJ as to the appropriateness of the additional items. Sorry but we have never helped a client develope a written policy for e-power. Only a verbal understanding between us and them so we design it to the clients needs.

pierre

I have to agree with Bennie. In the past year I have had a lot of 'hospital experience'. The nurses don't need their coffee. The patients need the nurses to have their coffee! :D
Sorry! sometimes we need the humor.

Pierre

peter

Pierre [Nice name],
"The patients need the nurses to have their coffee!" This is true but electricity is not needed to make coffee. All you need is boiling water. Aren't hospitals supplied with natural gas?
~Peter

bennie

Esteemed Member

pwhitton: It's refreshing to see a participant with a background in health facility systems. You appear to know the subject very well.

Please remain active, we need you.

Regards.

Bennie

Status
Not open for further replies.