EMERGENCY FUEL SHUT OFFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slade

I KNOW THAT GASOLINE PUMPS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE EMERGENCY FUELS SHUT OFF SWITCHES AND SO ARE GASOLINE & DIESEL DISPENSERS WHEN LOCATED TOGETHER. BUT MY QUESTION IS ARE JUST DIESEL PUMPS ALONE REQUIRED TO HAVE EMERGENCY FUEL SHUT OFF SWITCHES WHEN USED FOR FLEET VEHICLE FUELING?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
First, Welcome to the forums.

Second, please avoid ALL CAPS. They are percieved as shouting and make reading posts difficult.

Third, thanks for asking. I haven't given this a great deal of thought before; but, years a go I would probably have simply said, "No." Things have changed a bit. The various original NFPA sources for Article 514 have changed.

While electrical area classification based on diesel alone is unnecessary, the emergency shutoff is based on diesel simply being a fuel. Neither Article 514 nor NFPA 30A, the current Art 514 source, specifically excludes considering diesel as a fuel.

Pesonally, I believe emergency controls/shutoffs for all "fuels" in Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities are required by the appropriate Sections in 514.11.

Sandman1110

It's true that the code makes no distinction concerning fuel for the disconnect.

However, it is interesting that 514.3 states that where the AHJ can determine that flammible liquids having a flash point below 38 C (100F) such as gasoline, will not be handled, such location shall not be required to be classified.

No. 2 Diesel is classified as a class II combustible with a flash point of 52C (125F). (source HMex Assistant)

So in effect, one could have a diesel fueling station that would be non-classified. yet would still have to comply with 514.11(A).

Status
Not open for further replies.