Emergency Generator "Requirements" - Emergency vs. Standby Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I need some assistance on what to me is a very confusing subject in the NEC. As stated above in the Title section, I need some help to properly identify how I need to move forward in a project for a client that I am currently working on.

The project is a Museum building in Long Island City, Queens, NY (NYC), is 2 Floors + a Cellar, has one (1) Elevator and no Fire Pump. We are designing an emergency generator system for our client who wants emergency power backup just for his various pump systems, namely sewage ejector pumps, dewatering pumps, etc., which are not critical building loads. The total running loads on these various pump systems if all were running at the same time would be approximately 20 kW. The emergency lighting/exit lighting is already backed up via battery packs and a Lighting Inverter System, so he does not want these lighting loads on our generator. He also does not want the elevator on generator power.

After coordinating with our generator vendor, the sizing program came back with two sizes...a 53 kw and 80kw emergency generator. For cost purposes, we were asked to use the 53 kW Genset in our base design, but I am going to also provide an alternate design using the 80kw Genset to present to the client. My approach to the design is to have one ATS (either 200A or 400A, for each option), which will receive the emergency feeder from the generator and the normal feeder from a C/B in the building's 2000A, 208V, 3-phase, 4-wire MDP. The load side of the ATS would then in turn feed a new DP, which will feed our loads.

The building is not a Health Care facility, therefore NEC Article 517 does not apply. Are there any code implications or limitations in Articles 700, 701, 702 or 710 that I need to be aware of that would play a role in not permitting me to approach the design as stated above? Please chime in with any thoughts or comments, thanks!

A.G.

ron

Are the loads the client wants to pick up with the gen considered 700, 701 or 702 loads?

If 702, some jurisdictions require you to pickup other loads even if you only want to pickup 702 loads. Lucky for you, NYC is one of those jurisdictions. :D And the small gens are tough, because they are required to be listed, UL2200, which is more typical in larger sizes. You would need to pickup lighting and fire alarm, but since it is less than 75' and not R-2, no elevator.

Make sure you are checking Chapter 27 of the NYC building code.

Last edited:
Are the loads the client wants to pick up with the gen considered 700, 701 or 702 loads?

If 702, some jurisdictions require you to pickup other loads even if you only want to pickup 702 loads. Lucky for you, NYC is one of those jurisdictions. :D

Make sure you are checking Chapter 27 of the NYC building code.

Hi Ron, and THANK YOU very much for responding! The loads that I described definitely DO NOT fall into Articles 700.2 and 701.2, but depending who reviews the drawings, could be interpreted as loads falling under 702.2. I am just not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.