Emergency generator shunt trip

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have fire pump that is tapped ahead of main service disconnect. The fire pump also has outdoor emergency generator as backup in the event the utility goes out.

The outdoor emergency generator is housed in its own mini little building with doors next to the building it supplies that has fire pump, legally required and emergency loads. The emergency generator has three main breakers: one for legally required, second breaker feeds emergency and third breaker feeds the fire pump for back up.

NEC 2017 Article 700.12(B)(6) says where outdoor generator is set to equipped with a readily accessible disconnecting means in accordance with 445.18 and the disconnecting means is located within sight of the building or structure supplied additional disconnecting means where ungrounded conductors serve or pass through the building or structure.

So in order to make the disconnecting means readily accessible the engineer provided one shunt trip located outside wall of the generator mini building facing the generator supplied main building. The one shunt trip button EPO when pressed disconnects all three main breakers including the fire pump main breaker, emergency main breaker and the legally required main breaker.

My question is fire pump needs to run till destruction with providing shunt trip someone can disconnect it easily.

I dont see any exception in NEC 2017 Article 695 or anywhere else in the NEC 2017 that allows for the EPO exception for generator that serves building and to the fire pump the generator breaker that feeds fire pump is exempt from having disconnecting means within sight. I also cannot find in NEC 2017 generator breaker feeding fire pump is not required to be within sight of the building.

Can anyone in here help me find it? Also should they even have EPO or not?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Two reasons that a shunt trip cannot be used as a required disconnect. There are probably more:
1. The shunt trip is not a positive mechanism, since the intervening wire and the shunt trip breaker itself may malfunction or be tampered with.
2. The shunt trip cannot provide a positive lockout at the visible site, since it can be overridden at the breaker.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The outdoor emergency generator is housed in its own mini little building with doors next to the building it supplies that has fire pump, legally required and emergency loads. The emergency generator has three main breakers: one for legally required, second breaker feeds emergency and third breaker feeds the fire pump for back up.
Is a generator "housed in its own mini little building" and "outdoor generator set"?