Emergency lighting circuit in Warehouses

Status
Not open for further replies.

solis

I will be installing strip lights, LED's, in a warehouse. FI am putting egress lighting in the form of battery back up in the fixtures, bugeyes and exit signs around the racking. Since all egress is battery back up, is this considered emergency lighting that needs its own conduit. I don't think it is, I am looking in the code to back it up, can anyone help.

david

I will be installing strip lights, LED's, in a warehouse. FI am putting egress lighting in the form of battery back up in the fixtures, bugeyes and exit signs around the racking. Since all egress is battery back up, is this considered emergency lighting that needs its own conduit. I don't think it is, I am looking in the code to back it up, can anyone help.

, bugeyes and exit signs around the racking. .

700.12 General Requirements.
(F) Unit Equipment.

................... Emergency luminaires that obtain power from a unit equipment and are not part of the unit equipment shall be wired to the unit equipment as required by 700.9 and by one of the wiring methods of Chapter 3.

700.9 Wiring, Emergency System. (A) Identification (B) Wiring.
....................Wiring from an emergency source or emergency source distribution overcurrent protection to emergency loads shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment, unless otherwise permitted in (1) through (5):...........................

The low voltage wiring going from your unit equipment to you" bug eyes" remote heads is subject to 700.9

it must be no less than a chapter 3 wiring method (no chapter four methods) even though it is low voltage and must be independent of non emergency source wiring.

In other words you cannot run conduit from a junction at your unit equipment to a remote head location and mix the remote head wiring with other power circuits even if all the circuit conductors are 300 volt or 600 volt conductors

in laymen terms you will be most likely be running MC cable from your unit equipment to your remote heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.