emergency lighting test switch and charging indicator light

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one wants to see emergency lighting test switches and charging indicator lights near their fixtures; especially in a pristine crisp white (maybe extensively over-designed ) space; I get it. I also get that they can be remotely located. (...according to Hubbell / Dual Lite's tech sheets for their remote switch/indicator devices #SPRTS, #RPSTL... "upto 50ft. from unit".)

I'm inquiring if there are any restrictions on "remote" and that "50ft."
EX.
- is that 50ft of cable length, 50ft of as-the-crow-flies distance, or 50ft along a route? (I presume the 1st?)
- does the device need to be in direct line-of-sight with the fixture?
- does the device need to be visible at all times?
- can multiple devices be ganged?
- if multiple devices are ganged, does there need to be location diagram (fixture-to-device) -or- other location key (what methods would be acceptable)?
- are there any mounting parameters (ex: must be below 6'-8")?

with much appreciation in advance,
mark

victor.cherkashi

Interesting topic to investigate. Could you please post the direct link to specification which reads 50 ft maximum?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
No one wants to see emergency lighting test switches and charging indicator lights near their fixtures; especially in a pristine crisp white (maybe extensively over-designed ) space; I get it. I also get that they can be remotely located. (...according to Hubbell / Dual Lite's tech sheets for their remote switch/indicator devices #SPRTS, #RPSTL... "upto 50ft. from unit".)

I'm inquiring if there are any restrictions on "remote" and that "50ft."
EX.
- is that 50ft of cable length, 50ft of as-the-crow-flies distance, or 50ft along a route? (I presume the 1st?)
- does the device need to be in direct line-of-sight with the fixture?
- does the device need to be visible at all times?
- can multiple devices be ganged?
- if multiple devices are ganged, does there need to be location diagram (fixture-to-device) -or- other location key (what methods would be acceptable)?
- are there any mounting parameters (ex: must be below 6'-8")?

with much appreciation in advance,
mark

I guess what would matter most here would be design. If I were involved at design stage, I would likely approach emergency lighting with a remote inverter. That would mean all emergency lighting circuits would be installed per article NEC 700.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Is there a code requirement that test switches even exist?

There is a code requirement that the fixtures be tested. If you can manage that without a test switch you'd be good. I know some units come with the ability to remote test by lighting some portion with a laser pointer or other remote device, but I think they still come with a manual test switch.

IMFOTP

Is there a code requirement that test switches even exist?

UL924 seems to reqiure a test switch so, i guess we are required to provide one...

"29 Test Switch
29.1 Emergency lighting and power equipment provided with an automatic load control switching device shall be provided with a test switch, or provisions for the connection of an external test switch, to simulate failure of the normal supply. The test switch shall simulate failure of a single phase supply or each phase of a polyphase supply. Each piece of emergency lighting equipment employing a remote- or radio-controlled, light activated, magnetic, or other type of switch shall also be provided with a secondary dedicated manual type test switch on the unit"

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
UL924 seems to reqiure a test switch so, i guess we are required to provide one...

"29 Test Switch
29.1 Emergency lighting and power equipment provided with an automatic load control switching device shall be provided with a test switch, or provisions for the connection of an external test switch, to simulate failure of the normal supply. The test switch shall simulate failure of a single phase supply or each phase of a polyphase supply. Each piece of emergency lighting equipment employing a remote- or radio-controlled, light activated, magnetic, or other type of switch shall also be provided with a secondary dedicated manual type test switch on the unit"

OK, that seems pretty clear. However fancy you make it, it still needs a manual test switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.