Emergency Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

This article has good code info. NFPA 101 is often adopted as a reference from the building code.

https://www.csemag.com/articles/ten-things-to-know-about-emergency-illumination/

NFPA 101 7.8.1.2.2 states that automatic, motion sensor–type lighting switches shall be permitted within the means of egress, provided that the switch controllers are equipped for fail-safe operation, the illumination timers are set for a minimum 15-minute duration, and the motion sensor is activated by any occupant movement in the area served by the lighting units. (IBC Chapter. 10-1008.2 requires continuous illumination of the means of egress with exceptions for a few special occupancy types.)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I dont know about NEC but would imagine that sort of thing is left up to IECC or Ashare standards. No? Our AHJ enforces IECC 2015 and per IECC 2015 C405.2 automatic lighting control such as occupancy sensors are not required and are exempt for emergency egress lighting that is normally off and areas designated as emergency. In general IECC 2015 says automatic lighting controls shall not be installed where it endangers occupancy safety. So I would imagine this would be one of the cases.

jeremy.zinkofsky

Does the NEC permit emergency lighting to be controlled by an occupancy sensor?

You will need a UL924 transfer device for any occ sensor that is controlling a fixture used for life safety egress. This can get expensive real quick. Is it possible to use wall pack fixtures (bugeyes)? This would alleviate the need for additional lighting control components.

victor.cherkashi

You will need a UL924 transfer device for any occ sensor that is controlling a fixture used for life safety egress. This can get expensive real quick. Is it possible to use wall pack fixtures (bugeyes)? This would alleviate the need for additional lighting control components.
According to my knowledge, UL924 should be used to transfer control wiring, UL1008 should be used to transfer control wiring and power wiring.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jeremy.zinkofsky

According to my knowledge, UL924 should be used to transfer control wiring, UL1008 should be used to transfer control wiring and power wiring.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Can't remember the last time I specified a line voltage occupancy sensor, but thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.