Emergency power circuits running through non-emergency panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

So, when installing a new generator and ATS into a building not previously having them, looking at section 700.10(B), it looks like I can't splice the emergency branch circuits in the old panel (which will remain energized by normal power and have non-emergency fed branch circuits) to run to the new emergency fed panel. Is this correct? I will need to completely remove emergency branch circuits to outside the old panel (j-box/gutter/re-route)?

Electron_Sam78

Is this a true Article 700 system? Or perhaps this is an Article 702 system. It makes a huge difference.

That is a good question, I will have to check with the agency that ordered the system. It looks like the circuits have to be separated if a 700 system. So for the sake of argument, let's say it's a 702 system. Without having looked over section 702 yet, is there any such requirement for separation of generator source branch circuits and non-generator fed circuits?

Electron_Sam78

Just looked at sections 701 and 702 and they have no such separation requirement as in 700. So I will need to check with the agency that ordered the install to determine what type backup system this is.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
So, when installing a new generator and ATS into a building not previously having them, looking at section 700.10(B), it looks like I can't splice the emergency branch circuits in the old panel (which will remain energized by normal power and have non-emergency fed branch circuits) to run to the new emergency fed panel. Is this correct? I will need to completely remove emergency branch circuits to outside the old panel (j-box/gutter/re-route)?

AFAIK, you're allowed to splice wires within the panel box, so you just need to extend them to the generator-fed panel box.

That's for a non-emergency (just a standby) generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.