EMF problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl riley

Re: EMF problem

Bob, some more info. You mention you have a probe that plugs into the Fluke 87. That meter is inaccurate at about 5 mV and below, so if it converts amps to mV from the probe, it will not read low amps.

I went to search and put in ammeters. Found a site which lists Extech, which has a good variety of ammeters. Went to minis and found one that I like and talked myself into buying it! It is true RMS, has the small 0.9" jaws for tight work, has data hold, max/min, peak, AC to 1 mA, DC to 1 mA, even measures frequency. With all the bells and whistles it comes to $235 at this site, or $249 at Extech's site. The number is EX-380947.

You could also do a Yokogawa search and see what they have. I like Extech's variety. Fluke sometimes sacrifices low-scale accuracy to ruggedness, etc, plus I think they charge extra for their name. Just an opinion.

And of course analog ammeters are of little use for this kind of trouble shooting.
Karl

iwire

Staff member
Re: EMF problem

Since I got the Fluke 36 I do not pull out the amp clamp that plugs into a DMM much any more.

You are correct it is a 1mv to 1 amp output.

If I let the lead get close to a panel I would get all kinds of strange readings.

You may be right about Fluke they are rugged but not cheap.

I will check out the meters you pointed out.

Thanks a lot, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.