Employee wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I dropped business insurance and my 40+ year license. I am becoming an employee of another EC because of a few PLCs I have out there that no one is experienced with. I need to put a value on my getting pants on and heading out the door for an hour or two? Same as my previous rate?

I dropped business insurance and my 40+ year license. I am becoming an employee of another EC because of a few PLCs I have out there that no one is experienced with. I need to put a value on my getting pants on and heading out the door for an hour or two? Same as my previous rate?
Maybe just do it for free? Sounds like you are getting older and putting your pants on could be valuable practice in remembering how to dress yourself. 👖

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would want as a very minimum 4 hours of pay at my previous wage package...that includes the actual wage and any benefits that the company was paying for.
Would also make sure I am an actual employee and not getting a 1099 ...people working under a 1099 are often not covered by workman's comp insurance.

On the one hand, part-timers seldom get benefits and a 1099 allows all sorts of deduction. OTOH, part-time employee with a 4 hour minimum sounds rather good if the rate is decent. As for the price- what's it worth to the employer, how much would a skilled PLC tech get, and what are your likely costs? (We can't answer most of that.)

Also, make sure the company covers things like mileage, software, etc.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
On the one hand, part-timers seldom get benefits and a 1099 allows all sorts of deduction. OTOH, part-time employee with a 4 hour minimum sounds rather good if the rate is decent. As for the price- what's it worth to the employer, how much would a skilled PLC tech get, and what are your likely costs? (We can't answer most of that.)

Also, make sure the company covers things like mileage, software, etc.
It is just me, but I would never go on to any job site while working under a 1099.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Since you are becoming an employee are there any benefits or perks? It sounds like you can name your price.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
1099 would require insurance. Nope done with that.
It depends on the laws of your state, in some you may be covered by workmans comp and/or unemployment even though your earnings are reported on a 1099 form rather than a W-2.

For business liability your work may be covered by the company hiring you as a subcontractor.

Definitely need answers.

retirede

It depends on the laws of your state, in some you may be covered by workmans comp and/or unemployment even though your earnings are reported on a 1099 form rather than a W-2.

For business liability your work may be covered by the company hiring you as a subcontractor.

Definitely need answers.

Agree.

I was a 1099 contractor for a company based in New York. I had a multi-page contractural agreement signed by both parties. Part of that agreement was about how all of this worked - basically all of my work (and me) were covered under their insurance.
No health insurance or unemployment coverage. I had the choice of projects to work on (or not work on). I worked about 1000 hours per year, max.

Status
Not open for further replies.