Employer Furnished Cordless tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

my old boss fast eddie sanders taught me theres nothing you cant do with a pair of 9s and an interchangable screwdriver lol he also made one hell of a tugger out of a rigid threader.

Hey new to the forum but I have been lurking for awhile. I have been in the Fire and life safety and security trade for a few years now, I started off working in my father's business, then I found employment if another business and now I have started my own business. I have always had my own tools and always purchased my own tools. power tools, hand tools, everything.

The last company I worked for provided all tools to its techs. They gave us a tool pouch and a cordless drill, multimeter. any bits or batteries we needed we would purchase and then be reimbursed for. Really anything we needed to do our job, the only thing we had to bring was our minds. However the tools we were provided were of moderate quality. Im not talking black and decker or harbor freight, it was a Rigid power drill. If we needed something specific like a core drill or hammer drill we would either rent the tool and be reimbursed or pick up a loaner tool at the office.

with that being said, I never used the tools I was given. I have always believed that I am the best judge of the tools that i need and I am the best judge of what tools will fit my needs. Iv used many a cheap drill and find that im more productive with a higher end cordless drill. I can do a job consistently faster and with a better attention to detail if I use better tools. Also, I believe that I should have everything I need to do my day to day duties as an installer or tech. My tools make the money, I cant do a job without tools no matter what company I go to. To be honest I would feel a bit guilty asking someone to pay for all the tools I need to do my job. I feel that Im being hired because I can do a job and that I come with everything to do that job but I appreciate the fact that my employer isnt forcing me to do this.

This really goes for your every day job. I dont own a core drill, or a reciprocating saw, I dont use these in my day to day functions typically. This is where its good to have a company owned tool that can be loaned out for specific jobs. You need to think about what your employees will do if you require them to provide all their own tools. some techs will try to get away with the cheapest of the cheap tools and their productivity will be reduced. Or you might turn away some prospective employees who feel that if their employer is so cheap they cant be provided with an OK 100$ cordless drill then they will probably be a hassle to deal with. Provide your techs with basic tools including cordless tools, the better techs will source their own tools if they feel they would do a better job working with better tools.

I feel the key thing here is that we cant do the work without tools. We cant make money for you or for ourself without tools. the cheapest tools reduce productivity and frustrate workers. Give your techs what they need to do the job and the better workers will get their own.

stevenje

Wondering if other contractors furnish cordless tools for their employees? If not, do you require them to have them?
What do you consider essential? I'm thinking drill, impact driver and recip. saw.
This is for the commercial / industrial environment.

The first cordless drill I ever owned was a Christmas gift from the boss in 1984. It was an 7.2 volt AEG. He bought them for all the journeyman and apprentices. I never had another contractor that I worked for, buy or replace any cordless tools. They were never required to own but as we all know we buy them anyway. At that same company Christmas party, I got a Michael Jackson wireless microphone as a gag gift. I still laugh when I remember a room full of semi drunk sparkies, with a microphone in hand, trying to sing along with the music. American Idol it was not.

satcom

The first cordless drill I ever owned was a Christmas gift from the boss in 1984. It was an 7.2 volt AEG. He bought them for all the journeyman and apprentices. I never had another contractor that I worked for, buy or replace any cordless tools. They were never required to own but as we all know we buy them anyway. At that same company Christmas party, I got a Michael Jackson wireless microphone as a gag gift. I still laugh when I remember a room full of semi drunk sparkies, with a microphone in hand, trying to sing along with the music. American Idol it was not.

When you work for a contractor that refuses to supply the needed tool, don't complain, just pull out the required hand tool and use it
Any contractor that has a problem providing a cordless drill, may not be able to keep good employees on his team

Status
Not open for further replies.