Emt as a means of support

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryinghard

?
I have done this before for rc cans in a dropped ceiling (short pieces of emt)?I have never had any inspectors fail me for this but have questioned the method with no code article cited?

I?ve used EMT to support recessed in tee-bar as well but I don?t know its rating. If you?re concerned legalistically compare the spec sheets of EMT and strut. Strut will have a rating structurally but EMT may not, and if it doesn?t it shouldn?t be used this way.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Peter,

I think it's a political football for the manufacturers. If they design a fixture (there are some good ones out there) to use EMT it's permitted per default. If the fixture fell out of the ceiling, thenh the manufacturer could say that it was installed by a an unqualified person. As long as there is no tangible risk, and the manfacturer can sell lights (normally high hats) they will continue to do so. You can't legislate common sense. Others have so eloquently pointed out there is nothing foolproof. I've used EMT ias a supporting device, not as a raceway in the past, and will probably do it sometime in the future. Ingenuity is directly related to future work:)

Rockyd

Occupation
Ya man, but didn't want to be a candidate for a Darwin award...

PS - Forgot to add the 200 word disclaimer to protect the innocent...

Reward the guilty, punish the innocent, hangings at 5...

Rockyd

Occupation
YES

I called the AHJ and he sent an inspector -

the_woody_woodpecker_and_friends_classic_cartoon_collection_dvd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.