EMT Conduit Bending

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: EMT Conduit Bending

Originally posted by hess:
the reason the engineer wants it like that is to keep the conduit straight because if you strap it in the center of the conduit. it would look like a see saw running down the wall.
First I want to be clear that I agree 100% with Hal that strapping the middle of the conduit produces a poor looking run. :(

Certainly well written job specs will also require a strap within 3' of a coupling.

The NEC used to say within 3' of a fitting, that was changed to within 3' of a termination.

iwire

Staff member

Heres a nice Mike Holt graphic

348-13.gif

paul

Originally posted by hess:
paul
every spec book if ever read on a commercial job dictates how to strap conduit
all i have ever read, says 3 feet from a box, 3 feet from a coupling, 3 feet from a bend, then every 10 feet apart.
if you start on a straight run and strap within 3 feet of the box, then install a strap 10 feet from that strap it will be within 3 feet of the coupling
the reason the engineer wants it like that is to keep the conduit straight because if you strap it in the center of the conduit. it would look like a see saw running down the wall.
If your bundle of conduit is bent, it doesn't matter where you put the strap, it's gonna look like a wet noodle when you run it. If it's straight, it's gonna look straight. We do alot of work for the local TELCO, and their requirements are 8' between straps and a groundwire. Since that's about 90% of my workload, I tend to do that on all runs. Again, the code is the minimum. I can choose to do a job and code minimum, or I can put forth more quality in my work. That's my choice and/or the choice of the company I work for. It's not the inspectors decision to dictate to me his quality standards. Their job is to enforce the code as written, no more, no less.

hess

hey didn't mean to piss you off. i inspect by the code.
just informing you that you had to install according to the spec.
just like all the spec. all i have ever read say for the conduit to be run parallel and perpendicular with the building. this is not a code requirement but a engineer requirement.

[ May 08, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: hess ]

allenwayne

Straight runs and pretty bends that roll off a rack are not an NEC issue but if you take pride in what you do then these items are alrady taken care of.
Some years ago :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dnbob:
Every inspector I have worked with would use the wording from 358.26 ...equivalant of 4 quarter bends... as the bases that no bend greater than 90 degrees is allowed. They also have required a strap within 3' of every coupling. They feel that a coupling is the termination of the conduit.
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I would say they are wrong on both counts.
I agree with Iwire, they missed the boat on both.

[ May 08, 2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

paul

Nah, Hess...ya didn't piss me off. I'm a mild tempered guy and I take most things with a grain of salt. I like to debate issues with others and I'll also be one of those to admit when I'm wrong. A slice of humble pie is healthy for a guy now and then. There are two issues that shouldn't be confused by an inspector, and those are code minimums and workmanship. I was always taught that a job done to the code minimum isn't very good. I tend to agree with that for the most part. But that doesn't mean there aren't times when you don't give more than minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.