EMT Coupling

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With the coupling ends, you can't always pick which way the ends go. You can start from a connector with the coupling leading, but a cut can mean turning the rest around, or using a standard coupling.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This idea of having to possibly cut them off because of bend being short etc. is tough for me to grasp.

1. If your just bending without turning into an enclosure where you would need a CONNECTOR why would you ever have to cut it off? you would just couple the two pieces together and keep running.
2. If using factory elbows would the intergral coupling be very helpful?

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This idea of having to possibly cut them off because of bend being short etc. is tough for me to grasp.

1. If your just bending without turning into an enclosure where you would need a CONNECTOR why would you ever have to cut it off? you would just couple the two pieces together and keep running.
2. If using factory elbows would the intergral coupling be very helpful?
If I need to bend a 90 with the back at probably 80”, sometimes I will bend it with say the back at 85”. Then I will test fit it and cut off 3.5”. If I had bent at 80” I would have been short and the piece goes into the “hopefully I can repurpose it” pile. That 3.5” might have to come off where the coupling is.
Now if I have a bundle of pipe with integral couplings I could probably figure out a way to over bend and trim the non-coupling side, but now it’s taking more time for me to bend a stick of pipe.
You can always trim a piece of pipe, you can’t really extend it. (I know you can with couplings but it isn’t always practical). It really comes down to taking the time to measure. If it’s a one off pipe run, I find it faster to over bend and cut to fit. If it’s a rack, it’s usually worth taking the time to set up a laser or whatever and spend more time measuring.

Hopefully this helps visualize the issue. This is why people like @LarryFine keep saying it makes sense for a long straight run, but is a risky investment for something with a lot of technical bends.