Raintight EMT connector couplings.

6775027.jpg
6775084.jpg

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm guessing but I think that a standard set screw EMT connector or coupling would be OK in a damp location.

LJSMITH1

"Wet" and "Damp" are terms that are commonly interchanged in the field. However, in the literal sense, a Wet location is an application in direct contact with the earth, or in a location subject to saturation with a liquid. Damp locations are those areas not subjected to saturation, but moderate degrees of moisture.

In the fittings industry, "Raintight" means that the fitting is suitable for a damp location. "Liquidtight" means that the fitting is suitable for a wet location.

A setscrew or standard compression fitting is not considered a wet or damp location fitting, it is considered "dry". However a dry location is defined in NEC Art. 100 as "A location classified as dry may be temporarily subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction."

UL514B requires raintight fittings to be sprayed with water for 1 hour using a special test fixture, with a specific volume of water, through calibrated spray heads. The fittings pass if no water enters the conduit/fitting area. Liquidtight fittings have a similar test, however the medium is oil, and the test is for 30 minutes.

So to answer your question, Raintight fittings are the best choice for a damp environment. You can use Bridgeport's 250-RT2 series fittings. They have an integral seal that works well in this type of environment.

250-RT2-02.jpg

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
LJSMITH1 In the fittings industry said:
These statements seem to conflict with each other. The first says a "raintight fitting" can't be used outside, which is a wet location per the NEC, and the second says that a raintight fitting is tested with method that simulates rain.

As a side note, do you know if threaded rigid conduit couplings are tested to this standard? Threaded rigid couplings leak much more than the "old" type (before UL changed the rules to require better sealing) of compression EMT fittings.
Location, Wet. Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
LJSMITH1 said:
"Wet" and "Damp" are terms that are commonly interchanged in the field. However, in the literal sense, a Wet location is an application in direct contact with the earth, or in a location subject to saturation with a liquid. Damp locations are those areas not subjected to saturation, but moderate degrees of moisture.

In the fittings industry, "Raintight" means that the fitting is suitable for a damp location. "Liquidtight" means that the fitting is suitable for a wet location.

A setscrew or standard compression fitting is not considered a wet or damp location fitting, it is considered "dry". However a dry location is defined in NEC Art. 100 as "A location classified as dry may be temporarily subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction."

UL514B requires raintight fittings to be sprayed with water for 1 hour using a special test fixture, with a specific volume of water, through calibrated spray heads. The fittings pass if no water enters the conduit/fitting area. Liquidtight fittings have a similar test, however the medium is oil, and the test is for 30 minutes.

So to answer your question, Raintight fittings are the best choice for a damp environment. You can use Bridgeport's 250-RT2 series fittings. They have an integral seal that works well in this type of environment.

250-RT2-02.jpg

Nothing like a bit of free advertising for Bridgeport fittings. :D

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
don_resqcapt19 said:
The first says a "raintight fitting" can't be used outside, which is a wet location per the NEC, and the second says that a raintight fitting is tested with method that simulates rain.
Refresh my memory. If I'm using a THHN/THWN conductor where does the NEC state I have to use a certian fitting?

cadpoint

chris kennedy said:
Refresh my memory. If I'm using a THHN/THWN conductor where does the NEC state I have to use a certian fitting?

The underlining thought is your making a complete mechanical application to the correct enviroment, its in the book, gezz spin the CD... :roll:

Oh, your minus the CD cause your in PA

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
cadpoint said:
The underlining thought is your making a complete mechanical application to the correct enviroment, its in the book, gezz spin the CD... :roll:
I was just trying to ruffle some feathers. I'll spin the CD if it has some tunes I haven't heard yet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Chris,
Greg has the section that requires the use of fittings listed for wet locations when the EMT is installed in a wet location. 358.42 refers you to 314.15.

jeremysterling

realolman said:
Is it OK to put pipe dope on rigid threaded couplings?

When I worked industrial, I used Crouse-Hinds STL-8. STL stands for Screw Thread Lubricant. I believe this "dope" (more like grease) actually facilitates electrical bonding of the GRC (Galvanized Rigid Conduit). 5 turns on the threads of GRC makes it explosion-proof. Maybe not enough to keep water in or out, but enough to cool the hot gases as they escape the conduit.

For water and condensation I installed ECD's (conduit drains) or EYD (seal-off w/ conduit drain) at low points in my rigid runs.

edit: as for the OP, If the installation is not subject to sheeting water, like rain or wash-down, and not spec'ed out for compression, I like set-screw.

quote: Nothing like a bit of free advertising for Bridgeport fittings.
Now CH has some!!!

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How long have the emt fittings been around with the plastic seal? My local supply house still does not get these. I had to go outside my area to get them.
[IMG said:
http://www.bptfittings.com/images/products/250-RT2-02.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone have any trouble using these. Even on a factory end they seem to take a bit of finess to fully seat the conduit.

LJSMITH1

don_resqcapt19 said:
These statements seem to conflict with each other. The first says a "raintight fitting" can't be used outside, which is a wet location per the NEC, and the second says that a raintight fitting is tested with method that simulates rain.

As a side note, do you know if threaded rigid conduit couplings are tested to this standard? Threaded rigid couplings leak much more than the "old" type (before UL changed the rules to require better sealing) of compression EMT fittings.

Don,

This is why these two words are confusing to many, due to the conflict and interchangeability with so many folks. If it were up to me, anything wet would be damp and anything damp would be wet.:grin: . Liquidtight could also be construed as wet, therefore damp, and vice versa...:confused:

From UL514B:
6.3.2.1 A liquid-tight FITTING shall comply with the oil spray test described in Clause 8.16.6 or 8.18.4. A
LIQUID-TIGHT FITTING is usable in wet locations and is also rain-tight and concrete-tight.

As for Rigid threaded fittings, they are also tested to UL514B. The threads are specified as well as performance characteristics - including sealing. Since the threads are tapered, there should not be a need for any sealant when torqued correctly. Most rigid, threaded fittings should have no problem passing the raintight and/or liquidtight tests. I have seen a few outdoor, rigid installations with pipe dope. I wonder if the electrical bonding has been compromised...:cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
LJ,
It apprears that UL and the code are in a bit of a conflict with each other and few electricians look to the UL White Book when making an installation. The issue is that you are telling us that "raintight" fittings are only for damp locations, but code rule specifies "raintight" for wet locations.

As far as rigid goes, the conduit has a tapered thread but coupling do not and rigid conduit leaks more in wet locations than the old style EMT compression fittings before UL made you add the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.