?" EMT pull elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Is it compliant to install a ?" EMT pull elbow with 3 #12 THHN/THWN conductors in it?

14405.jpg

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can't find conductor number and sizing in any specs I've searched.

In general I believe that these fittings are limited only by the number of conductors permitted in the raceway they're attached to when the conductors are #6 and smaller.

Carultch

Is it compliant to install a ?" EMT pull elbow with 3 #12 THHN/THWN conductors in it?

14405.jpg

Thanks

I'd recommend avoiding these fittings whenever possible. They shred wires like crazy.

If it is necessary to use such fittings, upsize at least a trade size, and give yourself plenty of room to bend wires.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'd recommend avoiding these fittings whenever possible. They shred wires like crazy.

If it is necessary to use such fittings, upsize at least a trade size, and give yourself plenty of room to bend wires.
That had not been my reality. I haven't used them very often, but the times I have they have not been hard to pull through.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree especially with #14 or #12 conductors. With stranded conductors I wouldn't hesitate to fill them up.
Been my experiene with them. Most damaged conductors I have run into with them is solid conductors. Probably should still try to limit using only 12 or 14 stranded or smaller (where permitted).

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
"314.16(C)(3) Short Radius Conduit Bodies. Conduit bodies such as capped elbows and service-entrance elbows that enclose conductors 6 AWG or smaller, and are only intended to enable the installation of the raceway and the contained conductors, shall not contain splices, taps, or devices and shall be of an approved size to provide free space for all conductors enclosed in the conduit body."

Kinda says what it says....only the conductors intended for the raceway being used. Size the raceway for the conductors in question.....then choose the short radius conduit body with equivalent entry (same size entry as the raceway being used) and allow the AHJ to approve it.

kwired

Electron manager
"314.16(C)(3) Short Radius Conduit Bodies. Conduit bodies such as capped elbows and service-entrance elbows that enclose conductors 6 AWG or smaller, and are only intended to enable the installation of the raceway and the contained conductors, shall not contain splices, taps, or devices and shall be of an approved size to provide free space for all conductors enclosed in the conduit body."

Kinda says what it says....only the conductors intended for the raceway being used. Size the raceway for the conductors in question.....then choose the short radius conduit body with equivalent entry (same size entry as the raceway being used) and allow the AHJ to approve it.
What if I use a 3/4 pull elbow with reducers to 1/2 raceway?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.