EMT Strapping Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Foelber

Does anyone know the exact interpretation of the EMT Min strapping req. The code states EMT must be strapped with in 3' of boxes, panels, conduit bodies, etc. and every 10' there after. Does this mean you must have a strap within 3' of a set screw coupling?

sparkyboys

but spec codes say otherwise, within ten inches of boxes. so there is a difference in spec(blueprint)codes and nec. so you would also need to check the blueprint, even though the nec says 3'

Dustin Foelber

This one is confusing for me. I have failed inspections for not strapping EMT within 3' of a coupling. Was the EI wrong on this correction? I know strapping is req. within 3' of boxes and other termination points but is a coupling a "tubular termination"?

Jim W in Tampa

This one is confusing for me. I have failed inspections for not strapping EMT within 3' of a coupling. Was the EI wrong on this correction? I know strapping is req. within 3' of boxes and other termination points but is a coupling a "tubular termination"?

Your fault for not demanding code number and reading it. Yes inspectors can be wrong. Or you might have a local code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The EI was wrong unless this was a long time ago. This is from the 1999 NEC:

348-13.gif

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The EI might not be wrong he just might be using the pipe to figure out where you need a strap. If you ran 20' of EMT you would have a strap 3' from the box then 10' which would put you within 3' of a coupling and then another one within 3' of the next box. Now most guys would just split the difference. So without seeing the actual install, I'm not really sure if I could say if the EI was correct or not.

And while it hasn't been in the code since 1990 it did use to say within 3' of each fitting.

So your inspectors may not be wrong, he may just be old.:grin:

480sparky

From 1965 to 1990, 348.12 stated in part, "... at least every 10 feet and within 3 feet of each outlet box, junction box, cabinet or fitting". It was the 1993 edition that removed the word 'fitting' and replaced it with 'termination'.

sparkyboys

From 1965 to 1990, 348.12 stated in part, "... at least every 10 feet and within 3 feet of each outlet box, junction box, cabinet or fitting". It was the 1993 edition that removed the word 'fitting' and replaced it with 'termination'.

case scenario: lets say spec code strap 10" from metal 4 x 4 box on 18 gage metal stud. then at 1' there is a coupling. since code was changed from fitting to termination would there have to be another strap at point? and at 1' more the conduit 90 in to rectangular hole of the metal stud, since the hole is considered a support, would there still have to be a strap at that same "termination"?

Dustin Foelber

Thanks Gentleman. My code instructor was a former EI. He was probably unaware of the change in the code. He has been an instructor for the last 24 years. I appreciate your feedback. This site is awesome.

220/221

exact interpretation

:roll:

No such thing.

In '74, learned every 10' and 3' from boxes/couplings.

Apparently in '93 the code changed.

It's a stretch but, a coupling could still be interpeted by some as a termination because the length of conduit is terminated.

edavis2293

Suppoting conduit

Suppoting conduit

We strap on both sides of a coupling within three (3) feet. The purpose of supports is not necessarily to keep conduit from falling off a wall, I can do that with #9 tie wire. The main reason for supporting conduits like this is to keep it from coming loose and interrupting grounding whether you have and EGC in the conduit or not. A loose coupling can kill or hurt someone in the event of a fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.