emt used outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Just break down and do it right!!!

If EMT rusts, and PVC sags, why not use PVC-coated rigid?

pvcrigid.jpg

Ya get the best of both worlds!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If EMT rusts, and PVC sags, why not use PVC-coated rigid?
The last time I checked, 3/4" PVC coated rigid was $2.15/foot, but that was a lot better than the $17/foot for 3/4" stainless conduit.
Don

cschmid

They also make fiberglass conduit, do they not.....I use EMT outside and like the way it looks. I also use stand offs on moist surfaces other wise i use two hole straps they hold up better. EMT looks better when the home owner paints it as well...no sags like PVC

kkwong

cschmid said:
They also make fiberglass conduit, do they not.....I use EMT outside and like the way it looks. I also use stand offs on moist surfaces other wise i use two hole straps they hold up better. EMT looks better when the home owner paints it as well...no sags like PVC

I use EMT as well stand offs for just about everything I do. I also tell people that if they paint the conduit it will help it blend in to the house. Perhaps we could start a conduit painting business for all the helpers out there? :)

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
Minis look much better. they give you just enough clearance that the compression fitting is not touching the wall.
I agree they are a little more work, but the appearance is worth it.
I haven't used a two hole strap in many years. Ugly to say the least and one hole is just as strong if installed correctly.

macmikeman

When it gets painted to match the existing paint job of the structure, emt makes for a better looking job over time then pvc,(assuming the installer knows how to run emt of course) , and my own feeling is that the paint if done properly will ensure no water penetration into the compression connectors which were perfectly fine to use for so many years anyway outside in the wet locations. If left unpainted, then it won't last more than 10 years out in the weather, even with the galvanize coating.

andinator

I just demoed a whole ton of pipe off a midrise in aTL. This sucker had everything. PVC, EMT, Rigid, some stainless etc... Non of it being used in qiute a while but aLL of it slap full of water no matter how good it appeared from the outside... Is any of this stuff gonna last thirty years? I don't think so...

P.s. Building was designed and built by John Portman in 1960... I heard this stuff, or most of it wasn,t used since the Olympics...

amptech

What's wrong with using rigid aluminum? It won't rust or sag and it bends so nice. There for a while it was cheaper than rigid steel.

JohnConnolly

Jim W in Tampa said:
On a residence i would rather see pvc but if its emt i see problem with couplings and woul use mini unles your willing to offset

ACCCCCKKK!!!!

EMT is straighter, smaller and more stealthy that PVC.

My opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.