EN 60204 vs ISO 12100

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFS-PDX-313

Occupation
Electrical design engineer, Industrial equipment
Does anyone know what the difference is between the two standards? I don't want to purchase a copy of both if they're the same thing. These things are not cheap!

"The great thing about standards is, there's plenty to choose from!"

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Just my guess, EN 60204 I think is the drop in replacement to UL508A / NFPA 79, I think ISO 12100 is more generic requirements that any of them kinda meet.
But I don't know really, Its been awhile.

I'd be curious to see what others here (whom do custom fab work) have to say.

Sannehed

New User
Occupation
Engineer
The EN 60204 is exactly like Tortuga says - it is the European equivalent to UL508a/NFPA79. Electric installation for machines. Equivalent but not in compliance. Somewhere in between is the IEC 60204 I believe.

The ISO 12100 defines the risk assessment process. 1. Set limits. 2. Identify risks, 3. Quantify risks. 4. Evaluate risks. 5. Reduce/Eliminate. Repeat until finished. The EN 14121-2 states how to quantify. It is an A-standard meaning it is a very general standard.

For you to fulfill the safety requirements of a machine you also need EN 13849-1 which is for machines that use hydraulic, electric or pneumatic controls systems. It is monster. About 95% of it states the requirements of the control system and the calculations you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.