Enclosure mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfloyd

Can a NEMA 4 enclosure with rotary switches in the door be mounted horizontally with the door hinges at the top and all of the written information on the door and devices sideways?
Other than gutters, I always expect cabinets and boxes with doors to be installed with the hinges on the side and I expect labels and other important written information to be vertical. Is that not a code or other installation requirement?

kwired

Electron manager
Can a NEMA 4 enclosure with rotary switches in the door be mounted horizontally with the door hinges at the top and all of the written information on the door and devices sideways?
Other than gutters, I always expect cabinets and boxes with doors to be installed with the hinges on the side and I expect labels and other important written information to be vertical. Is that not a code or other installation requirement?

I don't see why hinges should matter, written information especially switch legends ... don't know of a requirement either but is sure nice if it is easy to read. What if written in a foreign language that you can't understand anyway? You may not even know it is upside down or sideways. (Especially something like Chinese)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't see why hinges should matter, written information especially switch legends ... don't know of a requirement either but is sure nice if it is easy to read. What if written in a foreign language that you can't understand anyway? You may not even know it is upside down or sideways. (Especially something like Chinese)

Yes, that's correct. Type 4 testing is essentially "Hose directed water from any angle", so the hinge location would by design need to be irrelevant.

Enclosure orientation does however matter in Type 3R enclosures because they are going to have a drip hood.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, that's correct. Type 4 testing is essentially "Hose directed water from any angle", so the hinge location would by design need to be irrelevant.

Enclosure orientation does however matter in Type 3R enclosures because they are going to have a drip hood.

3R enclosures usually have a designated "top" but that does not dictate where the hinge for a door may be. Seen them on top or sides of doors - can't recall ever seeing a bottom hinge on a 3R although it may be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.