Ending future conduit underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

varundev

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading a while and you all have a lot of experience, which is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the correct way to end future conduit underground, if we can. I'll be pouring concrete and was going to run three futures, but I'm wondering if I can just cap the PVC pipe at the end of the run. Should the conduit be connected to the service panel on the other side? My plan was to run the conduit from the service panel and end it about two feet past where the concrete will be, cap it, and bury it 18 inches deep. Would this pass inspection? I am pulling a permit since one of these futures will be for a pool. I couldn't find the electrical conduit cap and bought the white "sprinkler" cap, but this made me wonder if I can do this and pass inspection. Thanks for any help.

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading a while and you all have a lot of experience, which is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the correct way to end future conduit underground, if we can. I'll be pouring concrete and was going to run three futures, but I'm wondering if I can just cap the PVC pipe at the end of the run. Should the conduit be connected to the service panel on the other side? My plan was to run the conduit from the service panel and end it about two feet past where the concrete will be, cap it, and bury it 18 inches deep. Would this pass inspection? I am pulling a permit since one of these futures will be for a pool. I couldn't find the electrical conduit cap and bought the white "sprinkler" cap, but this made me wonder if I can do this and pass inspection. Thanks for any help.
Yes you can run into the panel. Or you can just leave it below the panel. Either way will be fine. The inspector won't care about these conduits if they are empty. And you can cap off the end of the pipe being buried with anything you want. I use the PVC caps all the time. Glue them on and you have no worries. They should be easy to get. Then you just cut them off and extend them when needed...

growler

The only suggestion I have is that you have some way of marking the location of the this buried conduit ( get a measurement off something that will not change). You would be surprised at how quickly people forget where a buried conduit is located.

varundev

Yes you can run into the panel. Or you can just leave it below the panel. Either way will be fine. The inspector won't care about these conduits if they are empty. And you can cap off the end of the pipe being buried with anything you want. I use the PVC caps all the time. Glue them on and you have no worries. They should be easy to get. Then you just cut them off and extend them when needed...

Perfect, thanks. What type of PVC cement should we be using? I don't know if the inspectors have an issue with the blue cement usually used on irrigation, Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue. Is there one specific for electrical conduit? I figured PVC is PVC.

varundev

The only suggestion I have is that you have some way of marking the location of the this buried conduit ( get a measurement off something that will not change). You would be surprised at how quickly people forget where a buried conduit is located.

It'll be two feet off the block wall. Hopefully I'll remember that next year. I'm also saving all drafting for the yard.

growler

I guess the question comes up, do you have to be licensed to work on your own house or does it matter as long as you follow code and pass inspection?

If the AHJ issues you a homeowner permit to do electrical then you won't have any problems.

In this state a homeowner is allowed to do their own electrical work but some jurisdictions will draw the line at doing a service.

Just remember you need to get the permit before doing any work. This is normally not a problem.

kwired

Electron manager
Is the feeder in question going to a separate structure?

If so keep in mind separate structures are generally only permitted to be supplied by one feeder, so all an extra raceway is really good for in that situation is for use with parallel conductors in the feeder.

varundev

Is the feeder in question going to a separate structure?

If so keep in mind separate structures are generally only permitted to be supplied by one feeder, so all an extra raceway is really good for in that situation is for use with parallel conductors in the feeder.

3 conduits: 1 inch for 4 #6 for pool and equipment, 1/2 inch for future backyard lighting, 1/2 inch for tool shed outlet and light.

kwired

Electron manager
3 conduits: 1 inch for 4 #6 for pool and equipment, 1/2 inch for future backyard lighting, 1/2 inch for tool shed outlet and light.
You are running them to three separate structures?

My first thought was you wanted extra conduits to the same location in case of the need for more capacity in the future - something commonly done with services. I was pointing out that you can't just run a second feeder to a separate building because you needed more capacity. But if you are running three raceways to three future separate structures then I am barking up the wrong tree with this.

Add the way to find them is to either install a tracer wire (only needs to be 18 or 20 AWG if you want to keep cost low) and use it to locate it when the time comes, or push a fish tape into it and connect the locator to the fish tape when the time comes.

iwire

Staff member
or push a fish tape into it and connect the locator to the fish tape when the time comes.

I have done this method at least half a dozen times, it works great

I have often been sent to compleate small parts of a project that the construction division has moved on from.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

Amen to this. If possible, stub the conduits just above ground level. Or put a large PVC box on a post to terminate to. Quazite boxes at ground level are excellent too and least obtrusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.