Energy Avenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
100515-2144 EST

My guess from the discussion is that this type system could save energy. You need to get one and run some quantitative experiments. Most likely for the maximum power saving the light output will be reduced.

On a fluorescent fixture I can get a considerable power saving by reducing the applied voltage. In some post somewhere on this site I provided some measurements.

birtclp

Anyone else have any run-ins with the Energy Avenger? I am having clients ask about it. On the surface it looks a bit suspicious, like some of the performance contractor smoke-and-mirrors tricks (I'm a born skeptic).

If they are simply reducing voltage to lamp after warm-up period, isn't it a case of less power AND less light?

IMM_Doctor

New money on old technology?

New money on old technology?

This looks like a band-aid to me. It looks like it's sole benefit only applies to HID lighting.

You are going to spend 2010 dollars on energy saving scheme to support 1980 HID ballasts to save money?
The ballasts are reaching the end of thier usefull life, and you can not buy direct replacements.

Most industrial facilities that I visit are being retrofitted by removing OLD OBSOLETE HID lighting with new flourescent lighting that gives more lumens with less energy consumption. Thus 2010 dollars spent on 2010 technology.

I guess the same would apply to residential. Should I spend 10 dollars to put a diode in and cut the power to my incandescent bulbs in half, yielding less than half the amount of light, or should I change to a new CFL and get the same amount of light with less than half the energy used?

CRT TV or Flat Screen?
Battery chowing incandescent flashlight or LED?
Analog cell phone, or Digital?
Alkaline battery or Lithium ION?

wireguy8169

The last plant I was at had begun this transition and they were in the testing stage. I do not have all the particulars but the plant EE said from the six months with one department using the new fixtures using T-5 (I believe) lamps there was a pretty decent cut back on consumption. Again dont have the figures but when they did the study, the payback was very short like 18-24 months and with a few goverment inccentives for energy conservation looked like it would be a go.

wireguy8169

with all the variables in a manufacturing faciltiy they did not give an actual hour/life for the lamps but they did say that the T5's had a longer life, I just don't recall the percentage over T8's, but the life over the T12's or HIDs along with the cost definitly looked good, that is if you have enough units. In an home the pay back on things like that (at least as far as I can figure) are minimal but again if you compound that by say a whole city it definitly saves some energy and waste...IMHO

stevebea

The last plant I was at had begun this transition and they were in the testing stage. I do not have all the particulars but the plant EE said from the six months with one department using the new fixtures using T-5 (I believe) lamps there was a pretty decent cut back on consumption. Again dont have the figures but when they did the study, the payback was very short like 18-24 months and with a few goverment inccentives for energy conservation looked like it would be a go.

I spent a month last winter changeing out the 400w MH fixtures at our shop. Did a 2 for 1.... loosing 2 MH for 1 T5 6 lamp high bay fixture with an occ sensor on each fixture. $45 per occ sensor and $15 per T5 lamp in incentives plus a significant energy savings. Pretty sweet deal!

Steve

birtclp

Be careful here. This device will reduce energy consumption as claimed, but it also will reduce lumen output by about the same %. The Property Owner needs to be aware that his light fixtures will produce less lumen output (this is not a perpetual motion machine - think Ohm's Law - this is a simple give and take). If the area in question is overlit (not uncommon for existing installations 10 or more years old), then this might be a viable option. But be wary if the area is not overlit.

Another side-effect, color shift of lamps toward the blue-green spectrum. In the case of HPS, this could be considered a good thing and the mfr actually touts this as a plus on the web site. However, with MH this color shift may be to an undesirable Kelvin temp.

From what I can tell the device itself isn't smoke and mirrors, it simply reduces energy consumption and light levels and by reducing voltage. But the way it is being marketed is very much smoke and mirrors (mfr claims, "The unit reduces lumens yet increases illumination."). Like some others posted, I think there are some better alternatives for most applications. but in certain situations this might be a viable option, just be fully aware of what you are getting.

blotto

Every technology is worth looking into. I would suggest asking what testing data this technology has to verify its claims. What third party entities have confirmed that it works? Maybe ask about any sites where it has been installed?

From a quick view of the website, it's manufactured by GE and has some sort of verification from Emerson. General Electric isn't going stamp their name on a product that doesn't work, so this might be worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.