Energy Management for 80A 19.2kW EVSE

lexiondriver

Occupation
electrical engineer
Residential application, 200A panel, 48A EVSE allowed by load calculations, and has been operating for some years.

For occasional fast turn around, an 80A option is desired. GM Ultium platform, Cadillac LYRIQ with 19.2kW charge option installed in the vehicle.

100A breaker, #2 feed, possibly MC, suitable NEC compliant disconnect at the charge station, all standard, but clearly 80A is outside the load calculation. Contactor load management to shed the EVSE is not objectionable if set to 150A. History of residence rarely uses more than 30A to 40A, possibly a very short 50A peak. Expect that management would never open for high panel load, so more of a safety device here.

I notice any number of EVSE management systems for up to 48A EVSE, such as the now common DCC series up to 60A (for 48A EVSE), however not many for 80A or 100A loads. I have only seen one so far for residential application, and it possibly lacks standard ratings, not noted on the spec sheet anyway: PSP SAK-100MS 100A Electric Vehicle Charger Load Management.

Is there a power/current limit on an EVSE installation with energy management that this situation exceeds? Or, is it just that 19.2kW EVSE are still relatively new and uncommon?

Are there affordable ($1-2k range) industrial load shed devices that could be used in this residential application?

I am an EE generally adverse to the idea of a contactor in this use, however long term energy use shows that the energy management system is not expected to operate. Later generation EVSE (e.g. Enphase/Clipper Creek) are expected to include whole panel monitoring where they can throttle back the pilot signal in response to whole home load, a much more elegant solution. I expect that it is not a good idea to cycle power on/off at 80A at least for inductive spike concerns.

retirede

There are currently 2 residential 19.2 KW EVSE applications, (Ford Charge Station Pro being the other). Very few EVs can take advantage of the full output. Starting with the 2024 model year, Ford has deprecated the F150 Lightning (other than a fleet model) to max out at 48A, so they can no longer use the full 80A output.

If the user is willing to compromise, and the load calc allows, you may be able to use some intermediate hardware setting, either 64 or 75A instead of 80A.

Just a note - not sure how you came up with #2 wire for 100A. If aluminum, you need #1; for copper, #3 is sufficient.

lexiondriver

Occupation
electrical engineer
UL noted, #3 copper looks good, for 100' run, difference in power is only around 25W, relatively small voltage drop at 80A in either case. Thanks