Engineer required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogneck77

I am bidding a set of plans for an 11,000 square foot home.The scope of work says to" Provide properly sized panels for new electric service". No other specs on the service listed. I did a load calc based on all the info I have and came up with 289 Amps. I did not account for the elevator or future pool. Any suggestions on what to figure for future pool? I also remember reading somewhere that an electrical engineer is required to design any service over 400A. Is this true?

rcarroll

You don't have to plan for the future by code. However, if you know for sure high usage equipment is going in, it would be a good idea to plan for it. (My opinion). As far as the service goes, that might be a local AHJ call. In my town, all 3-ph & any 1-ph service over 225 amps needs an engineer's stamp.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
frogneck77 said:
I also remember reading somewhere that an electrical engineer is required to design any service over 400A. Is this true?
It's not an NEC requirement, though it may be a local code requirement. I can say that I have not heard that before. Nor have I ever been offered a design project because it was over 400 amps and the EC could not do that without my assistance.

cadpoint

It'd truly be your State, or County, or City, Statutes, Ordinance, or Law.

Here in NC we have a "LARGE" SQ Footage Laws before your practicing Architecture without a License.

Some States allow individual owner Design Build, Contracting, General Contracting, and of course Sub Contacting,
and all this depends on what the Laws let Joe Public - do.

Your own License may have a dollar valve limit like some States also practice, I don't think this is the case.

To say your designing, no your applying your craft to the design, all the trades apply themselves.

Get two prints, pencil one for production and then make a nice final one.
Good Luck

frogneck77

I think it may be something the local POCO might require-Ill make some phone calls tomorrow-Thanks for confirming its not an NEC requirement.
Bill

stickboy1375

HEre is what CL&P can do for you... Here is the link to CL&P handbook http://www.cl-p.com/clpcommon/PDFs/companyinfo/publications/yellowbook.pdf

c. The maximum single-phase service from an
overhead distribution system is 400 amps, including
the total rated capacity for multiple main switches.
Please consult with CL&P for all services over 400
amps.

d. Single-phase services over 400 amps and up to 800
amps maximum must be fed from a padmount
transformer. The largest single-phase service

Status
Not open for further replies.